Rear Power cylinders/rams

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Rear Power cylinders/rams

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
On this Xantia Mk2 1999, there has been LHM leaking from the cage where rams are fitted. There is NO leaks from the pressure side, it just seems to be from the return/breather side. There are no visible leaks fron anywhere on the actual cylinders at all, or in the little convoluted pipe/hose that stops dirt going onto piston.
I don`t know the layout inside the cylinder, perhaps there is a bit of blowby inside, and emerging out onto subframe.
Anyone had this at all. ???
I have had 6 Bx`s, and 3 Xantias, and this one of my son`s, is the first that I have seen with a leaky looking subframe.
Car rises up/down well, spheres may be shot at rear, pump ticks hardly at all---new accy sphere fitted.
Regards,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

This may be a remote shot given by me, but have you checked the height corrector for any leakage signs?
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly what mileage has the car done,if the fluid is comming from the breather tube it probably is the main ram presure seals leaking
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citronut wrote:firstly what mileage has the car done,if the fluid is comming from the breather tube it probably is the main ram presure seals leaking
regards malcolm
... which can positively be diagnosed unclipping one of the small plastic pipes from the rubber gaiter. There will be a constant drippling - even seeping - flow then. Especially if suspension set to high (rear on ramps - wheels off for inspection).
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

I don't know what the set up is on Xantia's (haven't got around to to the rear cylinders yet) but I have seen a couple of BX cylinders that had pin holed due to corrosion underneath where the alloy cylinder comes into contact with the steel bracket.
With the cylinder off the car and all the grey crud scraped and brushed off, they look OK but as soon as you re-fit them they start to weep, or in the case of my neighbours car, to dribble.

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon