LNA brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveC

LNA brake problem

Post by SteveC »

hi there

I have a 1984 LNA and would love to be able to drive it more- the problem is that the car pulls to the left when braking- sometimes it is very noticeable, sometimes you think it is just following the camber of the road. I have had both calipers off (not disconnected) and used a g-clamp to hold each piston in plae while pressing the brake pedal to push the other piston out, then swapping over to do the other piston etc. All the pistons move in and out smoothly, yet it still pulls to the left. Am i best admitting defeat and getting recon calipers or could this be something else like the brake hoses? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Steve
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Before you go spending money and changing stuff you need to make sure its not suspension related.

My BX started to pull to one side under braking when the front arm bushes went.

Jack up and give everything-balljoints,bottom arm bushes, etc- a good shake, and lever them around to look for wear.

You could also nip into your local testing station and get them to put it on the brake tester-If they're not busy they'll do it for a beer as it only takes a minute or so and that will confirm for definate any brake imbalance.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with bxbodger, if there is any movement in the suspension joints the effect of braking could move the suspension back, thus upsetting the front wheel alignment. It's also possible that one of the brake hoses is collapsing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You could try an see if it is brakes by jacking up the front of the car and turning the wheels while an assistant operates the brakes. If one remains loose and the other is properly braked you've found the problem.

If a hose has collapsed internally it may be due to over enthusiastic clamping during work on the brakes. has any work been done since it ran straight?

My own experience is that brake imbalance has to be considerable before it really becomes noticeable - so would favour the collapsed bush theory.
jeremy
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Thanks for the advice. I will test the suspension- as it pulls to the left I guess I should look at this side first? Handily there seem to be suspension arms on ebay that might come in handy if any of the bushes or ball joints are knackered.
Steve
SteveC

Post by SteveC »

Brief update- I have fitted new arms on both sides- the nearside ball joint cover had split and the one on the other side was on the way to splitting too, so they needed doing anyway.

However, it still pulls to the left under braking, so I will try the hoses next, and then maybe the calipers...
Steve