306 1.4 Catalytic Converter sheared

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

306 1.4 Catalytic Converter sheared

Post by andmcit »

Hi. seems my BIL's 306 has blotted it's copybook yesterday by going and sheering it's main output pipe completely on the rear flange before it meets the centre box. Despite the fact the car has only actually covered 30k miles - I guess it's low usage has been worse than normal wear and tear.

GSF list one for £120 + vat but before I tell him to go there is there anything I'll need to know or needs checking out first before he buys it as I'm going to be the one lumbered with fitting it [and possibly the rest of the system back] for him.

The reason I ask, is he managed to limp home over 150miles after getting a temp repair done at Kwikfit who suggested there are two types available for his model - a P reg 4 door 1.4. On top of this I've read on the Citroen forum that someone had no joy with the mating flanges on a cat he bought from another supplier.

Where's the lamda sensor of these - the cat itself of the downpipe, and will it actually undo without destroying it??

Any suggestions/thoughts would be welcome before he goes on a spending spree tomorrow!

Andrew
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi Andrew

Had a similar problem on my 405 cat sheared between manifold and cat box, my garage inserted small piece of pipe and welded the whole thing together for £40. They reckon it will last an age plus cat for mine was £170 inc VAT and del. Plus extra for the fitting.

Kwikfit were obviously very kind as the one we went into away from home quoted us £400 + vat and fitting with a 2-3 day wait so we "roared" home to get repair!

Hope this is of help

Kev
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Kev. Thanks!

After having a poke about today, from the looks of things the whole lot may have been at the bottom of the seabed for a while :lol:, so, replacements are going to be the way forward...

Anyone have experience of GSF exhausts/cats? Are these a decent quality? Aren't these OEM?

Andrew
amjake

Post by amjake »

Hi Andrew

I cant comment on GSF as they didnt have a cat for mine but here is an alternative to try:

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Update!!

Well, it's all beeen done - the WHOLE system from the flange ahead of the cat backwards was renewed using BOSAL boxes and hangars/cat fitting kit and the necessary jointing bracket; all in for £152.

The quality seems good - the rear box nice and heavy. Southern Exhausts had everything off the shelf for this very reasonable outlay too.

Replacement was a nice quick job actually, as the front spring loaded joint ahead of the cat actually undid without it having to be cut off...

On thing though.

Reading the paperwork/guarantee with the cat, Bosal assert that the lambda sensor needs renewal at the same time the cat is replaced. Now the only reason it was renewed in the first place was the fact that it sheared totally into two, not because the emissions were dodgy or anything.

I had a good look at the downpipe that connects the cat and must admit I don't fancy trying to undo the triangular manifold flange or the lambda sensor!!

Is this a ruse by Bosal for you to buy more parts from them; they apparently do make lambda sensors...

Andrew