Xantia Rear not rising correctly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

Xantia Rear not rising correctly

Post by Jonesy »

Just checking over the Xantia 2.1td for a trip to Devon on Monday and I'm having a bit of a problem with the rear not rising properly.
When I put the car into the lowest position and then try to raise it, it will not raise at all at the rear but the front comes up within about 10-15 seconds to maximum height.
How I eventually got the rear to rise properly was to rapidly move the lever from low to high several times and then the rear came up immediately and seems fine.
Now, is this a sticky/faulty rear height corrector and if so should I replace it?
By the way the car has had an lhm fluid change and filter clean within the last 15,000 miles (18 months) and an accumulator sphere about 4 months ago.
Any help much appreciated
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The height corrector (HC) has a hard living down under the rear in the road environment during drive. Its basically a mechanical device with several moving joints and links. Eventually it WILL seize up at some point - if not nursed regularly.
Several owners have reported that a good doze of WD40 - repeated over a couple of days - will free up the HC in most cases.
If that does not do the trick - then its dismantling, cleaning & lubing thats the way out. In severe cases the HC itself may have to be replaced.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

AndersDK wrote:The height corrector (HC) has a hard living down under the rear in the road environment during drive. Its basically a mechanical device with several moving joints and links. Eventually it WILL seize up at some point - if not nursed regularly.
Several owners have reported that a good doze of WD40 - repeated over a couple of days - will free up the HC in most cases.
If that does not do the trick - then its dismantling, cleaning & lubing thats the way out. In severe cases the HC itself may have to be replaced.
Agree 100%, mine rear would not rise occasionally from low to normal, yet it would be fine when going from low to high, or high to normal.

Plenty of wd40 on and around the HC and citrobics over a couple of days now it reacts to the lever as it should.

Cheapest cures are usually the correct ones
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
DaveW
My Cars:

Post by DaveW »

I seem to remember that on the old BX site many contributers used to recommend using a 'dry' silicone spray to free up and lubricate the height adjusters.
The theory was that this would not attract so much crud as would be the case when using an oil or grease.
Silicone sprays are a little dearer than WD 40 and its clones and not so readily available, but other than the possible advantage mentioned above and their waterproofing properties, is it worthwhile tracking some down or does WD 40 work well enough ?

Dave.
Xantia Forte 1.8i, 16v X reg.(09/2000) 93K, aircon
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Silicone spray is used for waterproofing - ONLY. On already clean & dry surfaces. Silicone spray film has no mechanical strenghts so cant be used on moving parts really. However its perfect on electric components - and especially rubber parts as its also known as a rubber surface re-conditioner.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image