ZX Windscreen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bmw_slayer

ZX Windscreen

Post by bmw_slayer »

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of bother due since badly chipping my windscreen on my Citroen ZX TD. A halfords repar kit proved useless and the chip and associated crack are right in the 'A' zone that is bound to cause an MOT fail.

Phoning round the big national companies only got me a quote of £280, which seems quite extortionate considering the value of the car. Can anyone recommend somewhere that could do this for a lower cost (I am in Leicestershire)? I have considered going to the scrappie but I would not have the confidence/skills/tools necessary to fit a replacement.

Many Thanks
97 ZX Turbo Diesel - " This is exactly the car that all New Zealanders should be driving"

AUTONEWS, New Zealand, March 1993
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

ring your insurance people, I think its a £50 ~ 60 excess, new screen fitted job sorted.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

When I got the chip in my ZX R-Reg I rang round (well it was more like a hole) and got pretty much the same quotes (going off memory, was over a year ago)....the cheapest was....(im off to have a browse)....and it cost me about £110 inc VAT.

I will try to get me' mother to check the invoice for the job at some point.

I recall doing the search using yell.com and basically going down the list of the main ones and ringing for quotes, this company was the cheapest by far however they failed to turn up the 1st day (without contacting me) and then was late by a staggering 5 hours, the excuse - I locked myself out of the Van with the childlocks - Yes, I didnt take that lightly either.

They certainly (-expletive removed-) me off but at the end of the day i saved about £100+ but didnt save on the stress....you get what you pay for....oh and he didnt clean up much after him either.
Last edited by mezuk04 on 03 May 2006, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

rossnunn wrote:ring your insurance people, I think its a £50 ~ 60 excess, new screen fitted job sorted.
Slightly easier and cheaper :lol:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I would have done the excess, just they didnt cover me for it, so if you cant get round it that way then you will have to pay the cost fully like me :(
bmw_slayer

Post by bmw_slayer »

Thanks for the tip - I found some companies with local numbers and the cheapest (and closest) was £80 plus VAT. Should all be done by noon on Friday.
97 ZX Turbo Diesel - " This is exactly the car that all New Zealanders should be driving"

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Glad to hear it....What is the company called?

That means it will cost just over a £100 inc VAT....I wonder if its the same company.
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Believe it or not I got a 2nd hand screen put in my Xantia for £60. A local guy in Glasgow did it. Asked him how he did it. Cheesewire and 20years experience apparently!
bmw_slayer

Post by bmw_slayer »

The company was called Allscreens Nationwide Ltd. The guy came today and did a great job - the screen he fitted is identical to the original (minus the chips!).