Missfire ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goldfinche
My Cars:

Missfire ?

Post by goldfinche »

Hello I'm not at all sure on this one it's a 1997 V6 Xantia so I will try to describe it as best I can. Cold starting is almost instant and no problem. Performance seems variable, a little bit flat at times, but that could be me.
When hot on tickover it goes slightly rough and seems as if it's running on 5 cylinders, touch the throttle and it picks up and runs fine.
There is a suspition of a rumbly knock about every 1 second maybe a little longer when on tickover, it's one of those is it there or not noises. It does seem to be from the cam belt end possibly the rear head area. Again raise the tickover and it's OK.
Its done 51,000 mls has some service history, not a lot. Is very clean and seems to have been looked after.
I have changed the oil,filters etc.
I must confess to being perhaps a touch parenoid as I really dont want to have something like the cambelt bust, that would not be good news.
Sorry for the long post and thank you gentlemen for any information you may be able to give.
Cheers.
Geoff.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Well plugs should be ok but i wouldn't be so sure that if you have had it serviced that they bothered to do the 3 plugs at the rear because of the dismantling necessary to get at them.... perhaps i'm getting cynical!!

Whereabouts are you in the UK?
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
goldfinche
My Cars:

Missfire ?

Post by goldfinche »

Hi thank you for the reply, only changing 3 plugs could well be a possibility, having had a major battle with the main dealer on a different matter nothing would surprise me. They were almost as good as the Haynes manual. Due to that and the cost that is why I will be doing it myself, at least I'le know its done. Is there any where to get any info. on the beast, engine that is.
Ta any info. is great.
Cheers.
Geoff.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Ok I know the Xantia V6 isn't covered by Haynes but what about the Peugeot V6?? Same engine :)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
pugxpert

Post by pugxpert »

had a few v6 motors where oil leaks into the plug holes in the head then submerging spark plug in oil and causing misfire,coils on these are fairly reliable,you will need to lift up inlet manifold to get to rear bank of plugs.Have also seen a few cambelt idler rollers fail,belt tends to try and ride through timing covers first, if you change belt i would change rollers as well but they are expensive over £100 for the three,if water pump is weaping they are modified and you have to have different belt tensioner as well lets hope yours is just a plug misfiring ?? :roll:
EP6T petrol turbo nice engine in the 207 GT and the new mini....
goldfinche
My Cars:

Missfire?

Post by goldfinche »

Thank you thats great :D :roll: I hope its oil filled plug holes as well. As the cam belt is going to be a major undertaking then while its in pieces then the rollers/water pump etc. will be done, compared with destroying the engine then its just not worth taking the chance.
I emailed Haynes as regards the engine and they replied that they had not and did not have any plans to cover the V6, no suprise there then.
I asume that the oil problem is the cam cover gasket leaking?
Cheers ta.
Geoff.