Timing belt direction

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Timing belt direction

Post by dnsey »

I have just changed my timing belt (Xantia 2.0 16V), and just as I was finally checking the tension, realised that the new one has 'direction' arrows on it, and I'd fitted it the wrong way round. Bearing in mind that many are not directional, does anyone know what the difference is, and if it matters much to have it the wrong way round?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It will likely as not be to do with the construction of the belt, specifically the strengthening cords inside it. premature failure might be the result of it running backwards.

Dave
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It MAY be down to allowing the correct orientation of the cog timing marks that the belt manufacturer will likely have printed on the replacement belt.

That said, I personally wouldn't take the chance, risk [call it what you like!] of going with the belt running backwards effectively.

For total piece of mind I'd concur with Dave. Get it right now so you wont cringe EVERY time the engine starts or revs up etc... :D

Andrew
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Dnsy.. this is no help at all, but I do feel your pain... Imagine clearing up after a long clutch job on my old BSA years ago to find the pushrod lying on the ground. You know what you have to do, or you'll not have piece of mind.. best wishes, Martin
I won't do that again
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

even when they have no direction markings it is rule of thumb to have lettering the wright way round when looking from the O/S wing at the engine
regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

mpr1956 wrote:Hi Dnsy.. this is no help at all, but I do feel your pain... Imagine clearing up after a long clutch job on my old BSA years ago to find the pushrod lying on the ground. You know what you have to do, or you'll not have piece of mind.. best wishes, Martin
I know of a Land Rover owner who spent several hours undoing everything so he could remove a half shaft, this was a well used Landie so it was no mean feat. Only then did he realise he'd parked too close to the wall for the shaft to come out. I believe he was close to tears.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Anyone ever found a warning on the timing belt pacakge (or insert) - against fitting the belt "wrong way around" :?: :roll:

Everybody : take a look on your cambelt and report back if you find the arrow pointing backwards - or the text reversed as pr Malcolm :idea:
My bet is if you really did take the effort to do so - we would have quite a few reporting back on a "wrong way around" fitted cambelt :roll:

Note : all recent transverse engines (and hence the cambelt) runs the same direction as the wheels. Meaning the arrow on the cambelt should/would point forward on the vehicle.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

AndersDK wrote:Anyone ever found a warning on the timing belt pacakge (or insert) - against fitting the belt "wrong way around" :?: :roll:

Everybody : take a look on your cambelt and report back if you find the arrow pointing backwards - or the text reversed as pr Malcolm :idea:
My bet is if you really did take the effort to do so - we would have quite a few reporting back on a "wrong way around" fitted cambelt :roll:

Note : all recent transverse engines (and hence the cambelt) runs the same direction as the wheels. Meaning the arrow on the cambelt should/would point forward on the vehicle.
Can't say I've ever bothered with the packaging but I HAVE made the effort to line everything up and get the belt's marks matching the respective marks on the pulleys.

The belt manufacturer will naturally expect everyone to do the same and anyhow no doubt hides under an all encompasing disclaimer to cover their 'responsibility' ie. liability, EVEN when a belt IS fitted correctly.

Just because other belts MAY have been fitted going 'backwards' to their intended route doesn't mean they're right and in fact this could be why you hear of premature snapping of these with the resultant mess sold for peanuts on ebay!!

As I've said already, is it REALLY worth the anxiety on top of the 'is it tight/loose enough' etc etc...

Bite the bullet, fit the thing according to the arrow and timing marks on the belt - end of story!

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I receive you loud & clear Andrew -

No gambling pays with the cambelt - I certainly do agree.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Thanks for your comments guys.
I was really hoping that someone would tell me that the arrows were just for reference when refitting a used belt :?
I think you have a point though, Anders. The box has the usual warnings re. tension, alignment etc., but no mention of direction. Perhaps I'll contact the manufacturers before reversing it.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'll take a guess here and say you are "possibly" safe and that the arrow as well as the markings are only datum points but............I have been told by more than one tyre guy that if you have even non directional radial tyres on your car and you rotate them diagonally, meaning you reverse the rotation, that they will wear out almost before your eyes due to the internal webbing being stretched in a certain direction and if reversed that it will drastically increase friction and tyres will wear out prematurely which begs the question, if the belt has been fitted and run for any length of time, will the same apply to cambelts?
I do know that "3rd Generation" belts are supposedly stretch free and as such are supposed to last up to 50% longer than the old "First generation" belts that gave all the problems.

If it were me, I'd invest in a phone call to the manufacturer as there are a few too many variables IMHO to take the risk.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

What difference does it actually make if you reverse them? Belts operate symetrically and in tension. If the drive pully is pulling on the belt in one direction, the driven pulleys are pulling on the belt in the opposite direction as they are driven.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

alan s wrote: If it were me, I'd invest in a phone call to the manufacturer as there are a few too many variables IMHO to take the risk. Alan S
My thoughts exactly... most manufactures have a techy dept.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I spoke with Dayco's technical rep (a friendly guy called Andy), who confirmed that the arrows were only there to locate any timing marks on the belt - the actual running direction doesn't matter. This is backed up by Dayco's useful 'failure mode' table, which lists causes of failure by symptoms, but makes no mention of incorrect direction.
Quite a relief, and useful information for the future!
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Well Done! Would be nice if this info could be located in a suitable place such as 'handy tips'
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate