Comma Antifreeze = Antigel? and bleeding!??!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Comma Antifreeze = Antigel? and bleeding!??!

Post by deian »

It says Antigel on the bottle, no big deal about it, just the words Antigel on the front, so does this mean I've saved a packet by not getting it from my Citroen Dealer... £14.99 for 5 litres of it.

I'm guessing Antigel is some kind of chemical formula in the antifreeze/summer coolant. Is it Comma that supply Citroen dealers with this stuff? Or Total?

Thanks
Last edited by deian on 29 Apr 2006, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Antigel means it wont be like jelly or crushed ice drinks - at frost temperatures. Another term for antifreeze. Thats all there is to it really.

You should be aware that all car manufacturers always use their own terms on certain bits in their owners manuals - and always recommands you to use their specific rated fluids ONLY in their cars. Thats a very simple way to have their part of the meals on you.
They all do it : Citroen, Ford, BMW, Mercedes ...
- and scare the hell out of you if you ever dare to tell your stealer you have been unfaithful ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

thats ok then :D I'm sure this will do the job well.

What an arse of a job to do though, raidiator bottom bolt is way behing the cables and air conditioning pipes, and the engine drain plug is way up in the back of beyonds, i've put some flush in it now and will run that short distances tonight, then tomorrow i will drain all that out and shove the anti freeze in.

What I don't get it is, i topped up with tap water and the flush stuff and i topped up until i couldn't get any more in, then started the engine with the cap open, then when that went down and some bubbles came up i closed the cap and opened the bleed valve, nothing came from it, i opened it so much it came flying off. Engine came up to operating temprature, fans cut in twice, then it all stabilised.

So did I do it right? Didn't see no air bubbles coming out of the bleed valve or anything. I assume the bleed valve is in front of the fuel filter where the thermostat is. It's the only bleed valve i can see.

Any ideas. Thanks. 2.1td by the way.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

That's the fuel bleed valve, I'm surprised the engine didn't stop. I only know this because I made the same assumption and my engine did stop.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
deian

Post by deian »

u sure now, cos it's got a water pipe going into it, and then into the engine, the fuel filter is above it!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'm pretty sure I'm talking about the same valve. All the evidence pointed to the one I opened being on the cooling system until the engine stopped. After a few squeezes of the priming bulb I got diesel out of it.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
deian

Post by deian »

a bolt on top of the thermostat housing? or do you mean the black nipple that comes out of the bottom of the fuel filter housing?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

The black nipple sounds like the water drain off to drain water from inside the fuel filter housing
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Xantias have both!

The fuel filter has a drain, but then there is a bleed screw on the cooling system just below that.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Antigel is the french term for antifreeze as far as I recall - nothing more sinister....

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The main air vent is on the thick heater hose going into the bulkhead:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... p?p=112997
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
deian

Post by deian »

thanks cloggz, i think it's sorted now, i took some time finding the one on the bulk head too, i filled up until water came out of both bleed valves then i kept the both open a little and kept opening them a little more to get air out as the engine ran, i opened the one on the bulkhead too much and it came off, hot water weeing out, so i know there is no air in it now! Nearly burned my fingers getting the thing back on, of course, lots of steam after that, it all seems fine now, no overheating, fans cutting in and cooling on idle, i'm quite happy, will wait for the system to cool then top up as necessary.

must admit though, the 2.1engine isn't the easiest to work on, it can get very tight up behind the engine and it's oily too, damn!