tax exempt on modern classic?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

visagti
My Cars:

tax exempt on modern classic?

Post by visagti »

Someone from a classic car club told me that if you have a rare car you may be able to write to the dvla to see if they will make your car tax exempt?

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have a Visa Gti of which they are only 37 left on the road I have found out today (only 4 Gt's left on road).

Worth a try I think if possible.
Visa Gti 105ch - white - under restoration - NO RUST never painted
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Visa Gti 115ch - white - requires tlc
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon
andmcit
My Cars:

Re: tax exempt on modern classic?

Post by andmcit »

visagti wrote:Someone from a classic car club told me that if you have a rare car you may be able to write to the dvla to see if they will make your car tax exempt?

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have a Visa Gti of which they are only 37 left on the road I have found out today (only 4 Gt's left on road).

Worth a try I think if possible.
Sounds like a wind up to me...
andmcit
My Cars:

DVLA RANT

Post by andmcit »

I think you'll NEVER get any exemption out of this mob!!

Remember they're the people who stopped the rolling 25 years exemption to a cut off point of pre 1973 [guess who's got loads of 74/5/6 Cits...]

With the continuous licencing system AKA SORN, they've just stung me for £70 as I didn't renew the SORN. I DO not tell a lie when I say I NEVER saw a renewal AND THE FIRST I KNEW ABOUT IT WAS THE BILL IN THE POST. The XM V6 hasn't moved an inch for 4 years so to be told I owe two months back duty is a bit rich. Oh, and they say in the small print they're not obligated to send a reminder anyway!!

On top of this, If I HAD used the car and been seen on the road I'd have had a fine and FROM PAST SCIRMISHES WITH THESE B'STARDS THEY BACKDATE THE TAX TO THE LAST KNOWN TIME IT WAS DONE...

I'm resisting their pressure to make me "enrol' more of my cars onto their SORN system too!

This IS A RECIPE FOR ££'s DISASTER! With talk of a "nominal" clerical fee of £5 for every receipt already on top of a £19 charge for a new reg doc [if you don't have the new keeper tear off slip to prove to them you own the car], I'm going to find a hefty bill either way for cars that have managed to side step the SORN system until now. Their system hasn't gone far enough back to give me 'new style booklet registration documents' so what shall I do...!

They've generated a "great" paperchase with this SORN and are setting the groundwork for a nice little £££'s earner. There's the tax or SORN reminder, their input of said decision and THEN they send out a standard letter that some apprentice part-time casual worker signs to thank you!!

I'd doesn't take a crystal ball to see they'll use all this to justify "clerical costs" for a system they themselves forced down our throats in the first place. Money for old rope!!

They do just exactly whatever they please and it's all in the name of money generation - their being an "Agency" now not a civil service department...

You recon they'll let you off paying as you've got a rare car!? :shock:

Yeah right!

Andrew
den169
My Cars:

car tax

Post by den169 »

Just been up to tax my Toyota pickup £96 6 months got a mazda pickup to do also next week, its just legal stealing by the government in my book the motorists are keeping this country afloat.Did you hear on the news about that speed camera on the m62 roadworks at selby took over 1 million pound in about 18 month been past it dozens of times no need for it at all it was still two lanes even with the road works.
Rant over
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I assume that you are in the UK.

The rules are simple: If the car was manufactured before 1 January 1973, it qualifies as a Historic Vehicle, and free Road Tax. You still need to renew the tax disk each year, in the normal way, but it is free.

The same date is the cut-off for the legal use of white on black non-reflective registration plates.

Luckily my E-type Jaguar left the factory in the last week of December 1972, so it qulifies.

regards,
Mike
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Did you hear on the news about that speed camera on the m62 roadworks at selby took over 1 million pound in about 18 month been past it dozens of times no need for it at all it was still two lanes even with the road works

I had nothing to do with that part of the works :lol:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Re: tax exempt on modern classic?

Post by Wookey »

visagti wrote:I have a Visa Gti of which they are only 37 left on the road I have found out today (only 4 Gt's left on road).
A fine car. How did you find out there are only 37 of them left running? Do DVLA hand out this info?
Wookey
(2003-now:1997 Peugeot Expert stealth camper, 1991-2003:1987 C15)
visagti
My Cars:

Post by visagti »

DVLA used to give you the information if you wrote in but with this government selling everything off that moves or doesn't you have to get in touch with one of 5 companies who have bought the wrights to the information.

4 of them were going to charge me at least £300 for it but this one was free as long as you don't have more than 1 or 2 requests.

GMAP Automotive
One Park Lane
Leeds
LS3 1EP
Visa Gti 105ch - white - under restoration - NO RUST never painted
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Visa Gti 115ch - white - requires tlc
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon