Power then more power then less again......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Power then more power then less again......

Post by Jshodgson »

My TD was not as powerfull as my last and I put it down to the fact that this one is heavier (estate). Today I got a feel for the power it should have and all the way to and from work I tested it. The measure I used was the speed I got in 2nd before the engine sounded like it was going to pop... I was getting it up to 30 or just over then having to change. I would then have it to 40 quite comfortably and it felt much more powerful in every gear.

Everytime I got the extra power I couldn't tell what was different with my driving style etc it just seems erratic!!!

I have recently (last week) changed oil, air and fuel filters. I noticed that the really painfull glow plug hasn't been changed but the others have and I found a broken pipe coming from the fuel pump to one of those large air pipes (I cut it back to good pipe and jubilee clipped it back in place).
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

That pipe you repaired sounds like the turbo pressure to pump pipe. It increases fueling to match turbo pressure. Without it your car would almost drive like a non turbo one.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would concur.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

There you go mate, you have probably fixed it without realising :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

My problem is that the car feels more powerful only some of the time. Where as before it felt under powered all the time noe it comes and goes. Any ideas??
deian

Post by deian »

maybe check that pipe again, check all round for vacuum/air leaks, they can cause weird behaviour on a turbo diesel, don't overlook anything, even the smallest pipe going to the silliest place

good luck
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Thanks deian

do you have any tips for spotting such leaks? Should I have the engine idling etc?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It would be handy if you cut fit a temporary pressure gauge tee'd off that pipe you repaired. You should get about 14 or 15psi when the engine is under heavy load ie. pulling up a hill in 3rd gear with your foot to the floor and the revs above 2500rpm.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
deian

Post by deian »

Not sure how you'd check pipes for leaks.

Personally what I would do it is take them all off, give them a thorough visual inspection... i.e bend them at the bends looking for cracks or brittleness, holes, or anything that seems dodgy, if you are happy with it then put it back on and make sure you are happy with how tight it is, only you can judge what a good seal is and what is obviously a candidate for leakage.

Of course, when i say take all pipes off for inspection, i suggest taking one off, and putting it back on before taking the others. Last thing you need is a load of pipes not knowing where they go.

Basically just use your instincts, you will find it in the end. Dig the Haynes manual out and see what pipes are involved with the engine, turbo, and exhaust recirculation systems. I'd clean them too, with some cleaner, that protects pipes, just normal automotive plastic cleaner will do. Something else geeky i'd do is label the pipes, to say if they are good and checked and cleaned, also what the pipes does, and direction of airflow etc etc, process of elimination yea, and future reference.

Sounds like fun yea :lol:.