Xantia lower windscreen sealing question..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia lower windscreen sealing question..

Post by CitroJim »

I'm really sorry to keep on about my leaky Xantia..

This evening I cleared all the leaves and debris from the O/S and N/S scuttle drains below the windscreen. Loads came out and both drain holes are now completely clear. It staggers me just how so many leaves get in there..

Whilst doing this I noticed that the plastic "trim" along the bottom edge of the windscreen glass is not sealed against the glass and water has a clear path to run under it and into the scuttle. Question is, should this be sealed to the windscreen or not? I can see no sign of sealant but then I think in the past the car has had a new screen fitted. I ask because there is what looks like a deflector on top of the trim to keep water from going directly into the heater air intake so that it shoots either side of it and into the drain pit. If the "trim" is not sealed against the glass it's purpose would seem to be somewhat defeated.

All very interesting, trying to scientifically investigate this leak. I had the boot carpet out tonight and all is bone dry so that is a relief...

Tomorrow eveing I'm going to remove the heater fan so that I have a good view of any potential water ingress points.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

I've been told it IS supposed to be sealed by someone i know from here, one reason it may not have been sealed is because it may have had a new windscreen at some point and windows people may not have remembered to seal it.

I need to do it on mine, some black mastic should do the job.
3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Post by 3eme_attaque »

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am not sure that it is essential for the plastic trim to be sealed to the glass. On my previuous Xantia, with original screen, the strip was stuck to the windscreen with something like double-sided sticky foam, but it did not really look like a long-term waterproof seal.

My current Xantia had a replacement screen before I got it, and there was no sealant along the edge of hte plastic strip, and in 2 years there were no leaks into the car. I recently had the screen replaced again, and again, no sealant along the edge of the plastic trim, and no sign of leakage.

regards,
Mike
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent, thanks.

Note to self... Must use the search function before posting....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
3eme_attaque
My Cars:

Post by 3eme_attaque »

no problem, silicone seleant to the rescue i would imagine
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

xantia_v6 wrote: My current Xantia had a replacement screen before I got it, and there was no sealant along the edge of hte plastic strip, and in 2 years there were no leaks into the car. I recently had the screen replaced again, and again, no sealant along the edge of the plastic trim, and no sign of leakage.

regards,
Mike
Mike,

I'll wager it is!!!!!

Xantias have impermeable carpets and the problem can hide for a long, long time before making it's presence felt. The sound deadening foam backing on the carpets can absorb a huge volume of water and yet outwardly still seem dry..

I would be inclined to check. Pull off the N/S front door seal, lift the edge of the carpet as high as you can and slide your hand down as far as you can under the carpet..

The one saving grace is that the carpets are not too hard to remove, they're synthetic and thus dry out OK and finally, the Xantia floorplan seems pretty rust resistant...
Jim

mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I knew that thread would come back and haunt me :oops:

Yes your windscreen should be bonded!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(