Buzzing behind dashboard, no nightlights on centre switches

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Ax
My Cars:

Buzzing behind dashboard, no nightlights on centre switches

Post by Mad Ax »

Hi all

A week ago I lost my temper with my foolish Sony back-of-a-truck headunit, and proceeded to attack it with an iron bar that I keep in my door pocket for defensive purposes. In true Sony style, the stereo survived with only minor damage, but the same cannot be said for the centre console.

Now, when I turn on the ignition, I hear a wierd buzzing sound from behind the console. It's not the heater fan, as this operates independantly of the buzzing. If it's cold and damp, the buzzing is loud and squeaky, as if there's a motor with a failed bearing behind the air vents. This isn't really a problem, as I can turn the stereo up loud enough to drown it out.

Also, it would appear that the clock and centre switches no longer have any nightlights when the headlamps are switched on. Once the sun goes down I no longer know what the time is. Again, this isn't really a problem, since once the sun has gone down it's probably time for me to go to bed anyway, but it's always nice to know what the time is.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing the solution is to lift the dash out and see what I can find.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

What Car?

May be worth adding your car to your profile for future reference
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

This fault has the Xantia sound to it.
The noise is coming from the small motor behind the grille to the left of the clock.
It drives a small fan that draws cabin air around the temperature sensor for the climate control.
The clock unclips from underneath, and the sensor grille from the right, and the fan motor can then be dangled out.
The small fan may need a good blow-clean.
Sealing the touching metal parts of the motor with silicone will quieten it.
The rest is bulb replacements.
If you’re handy at the ‘search’ function, there are several topics dealing with these problems, but I can’t find any of them now. :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I assumed it was too Clogzz but its always nice to be told what car the OP drives :?

I had the exact same noise when I bought my Xantia and the sound use to annoy the heck out of me so I got a replacement for about 50p from the local scrappy, this did the noise a little bit to but certainly no where near as bad.

It would appear to be a fairly common problem as it took many a' Xantia searching to find one with the sensor in place :wink:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mad Ax
My Cars:

Post by Mad Ax »

mezuk04 wrote:What Car?

May be worth adding your car to your profile for future reference
Note to self: disengage muppet mode prior to posting on Frenchcarforum ;)

'96 Xantia TD Estate