front centre sphere electrovalve not connected = harsh ride?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

front centre sphere electrovalve not connected = harsh ride?

Post by deian »

sorry i'm taking over the forum, i notice everything abouy my car, call it paranoia!

So am I right in seeing one these, here's a pic to prove it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deiz92/133379953/ (looking up towards the top left of the car)

So the plug was out ok, and i thought, not plugged IN the centre sphere? that would cause a harsh ride right, so i plugged it back in and went for a spin, it felt nicer, still harsh at time, but nicer, when i got back i bounced the car, so much softer, so has this cured my harsh ride problems?

Something else too... it's a citroen sphere but still got ACC on it, but it's got a different number to the accumulator sphere i replaced.

And another thing... where the horns are... i saw another two pin plug not connected anywhere, AND another big red/black plug like i saw behind the rear ashtray behind the front rear electric windows switch. any ideas?

thanks guys[/url]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Yes you are correct, if the Hydractive valve is not connected then it will give a hard ride. The marking on the Hydractive sphere should be different from the accumulator, they do very diffferent jobs :lol:

As far as spare plugs down near the horns, then yes most Xantia's seem to have them. I'd take a look to see if there is anywhere obvious to connect them to (as you have done with the Hydractive valve) if not and if everything works, don't worry, it must be for extra equipment such as a separate heater etc :D
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
deian

exciting discovery

Post by deian »

After further investigations I can say there is something else i noticed since connecting up the front electrovalve ....

I can hear both humming from the front and the back when i open a door, and then they go off about 30 seconds after closing the doors.
I didn't even know they hummed until I found this out. So who knows, it may have been in hard mode since i've had it. And there is a noticeable softness when sitting in the boot now, so cool. And a noticeable hardness when the electrovalves switch off.

Suspension diagnostic on these cars is so cool. Exactly the reason I bought one.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The humming is the sound of the hydractive valves being kept open. This is done to avoid sudden jerks which would otherwise occur when starting the engine after passengers/loads have got in/out of the car. This is due to the different pressures which would otherwise be within the Hydractive suspension sphere's, and strut sphere's.

Take a look at www.stevenbraud.demon.co.uk for a full explanation of how Hydractive works.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Well well well...... the Electrovalve unplugged :lol:

Yes that will cause a harsh ride indeed, as unplugging either valve causes the computer to switch off the other end as well, for safety reasons.

(Having one end soft and the other hard upsets the oversteer/understeer balance)

Ignore what I said about diodes, it's unlikely to be a problem, as I think you just found your main problem....

If you hear it humming/whining for 30 seconds after getting out of the car and closing the door thats good, and normal.

The question is, how did it get like that ? Was it a genuine mistake that someone made, or were they trying to hide another fault ?

It it feels nice and soft to bounce at both ends and yet it hits broken surfaces a bit harshly, its most likely air. (yes I know we keep saying this :wink: )

The interesting thing is, that whenever you replace a sphere you introduce a pocket of air that has to be bled out - but if someone has fitted those hydractive centre spheres and the plug has been unplugged the whole time, the centre spheres will have never had a chance to bleed!

And now that they've been activated they could have dumped that air pocket into the suspension.

So try doing a full bleed - engine idling and car at normal height, open the pressure regulator bleed screw for 5 seconds, then close it for 30 seconds, repeat 3 times. Then lift the suspension fully and lower it fully 3 times and go for a drive...

PS I'm not sure how you thought your car had a good ride before in the Hydractive thread you started, as the ride is pretty awful when the car is stuck in the hard mode...especially at low speeds :?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
deian

Post by deian »

well the sphere doesn't look THAT new to have been disconnected for so long, if i remember correctly it wasn't like this when I had it, so unless it somehow worked itself off (which i don't see happening, cos of the metal clip) or i accidentaly knocked it off trying to get acc.sphere off (again can't see how that would happen), it's a total mystery.

Then again I've never felt the back so soft, and never noticed the humming before.

I can even hear it switching on the radio, and can even make the car change the electrovalve by doing what the computer needs. So cool!