C5 what do you think

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenNuts
My Cars:

C5 what do you think

Post by CitroenNuts »

Hi all Just had a bump with my C5 2.016v Sx petrol and it’s going to be a insurance loss

So
I have been offered a 2001 C5 2.0 HDI 110bhp LX model it has new clutch and timing belt done but no history now for the bad part it has 195000 on the clock & hasn’t got as many toys but they only want £2500 for it
What do you think?

1. I know if looked after the engines just keep on going
2. I know enough about the suspension to spot a bad one
3. Same with the brakes and most the other bits
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

If it was me i would not downgrade my self to an LX. All LX C5, Xantias, Xsara's should be burned. :P But thats just me, i like my toys!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

hey our blue ones a LX, nowt wrong with that, well ok a sticky sunroof but apart from that, and the squeeky rear beam, its fine. :lol:

If I were in the market for a C5, it'd have to be the estate, prob the facelift one, thats a good looking motor.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Quackers wrote:If it was me i would not downgrade my self to an LX. All LX C5, Xantias, Xsara's should be burned. :P But thats just me, i like my toys!
Depends on the date, the LX got a lot of extras toward the end of production.
deian

Post by deian »

no history and 195k miles (in 5 years), say averaging close to 40k a year, still they could be motorway miles

personally i wouldn't buy it, even if it is cheap, you need at least SOME service history, track down the owners if you can, find out if the cars were company cars, etc

all you know is the clutch and timing belt are done, but what else? ask yourself why are the people selling the car? maybe it's come to that un-magic time where things will start failing, it happens to cars, usually at the end of the warranty period.

no from me, you could get better i'm sure. good luck though
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought a td XM at 240k and sold it at 292k, most reliable one I have owned, everything had been replaced! But that was a few years ago.....
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

What Catergory is it going to be...can you not buy the car back if it doesnt need much money spending???

I also wouldnt downgrade and thats far to many miles for me without a shred of service history especially in 5 years.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
CitroenNuts
My Cars:

Post by CitroenNuts »

My old C5 is beyond repair too much front damage :oops:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g77/J ... 000366.jpg

Thanks for the help but now just got a 1999 HDI Xantia :D
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Yep, I'd say that's quite a mess... and definitely a bit more than a "bump"!

I have to agree with what everyone else has been saying.. nearly 200k with no history spells bad news. If it were a £200 car, then you take the risk, but for £2500 I would want at least SOME history.... for all you know it's gone for 40k at a time without oil changes!
This is not a signature.
pantherd90

Post by pantherd90 »

For such a high price with that milage I wouldn't touch it. You could get a lower milage Xantia with decent history for that.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ok we all love good service records - after all having your car lovingly looked after by some organization that does what its supposed to do if you are lucky and never drives the car must mean that years of trouble free motoring are guaranteed.

What do they do on a service - yes they change the engine oil - and thats a good thing - but what else do they do?

Things like brake pads and discs and steering and suspension joints are about it. Neglect of these is easy to find and does not get worse by not being dealt with at the earliest opportuniity.

So I say give it a good check - does the engine look and sound good? If so its probably OK - diesels tend to do nasties when they are not sound, find out the cost of a replacement (second hand?) engine, and also the cost of a car with a good record - and get bargaining.
jeremy