What to do next (Xantia Electrics)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

What to do next (Xantia Electrics)

Post by Quackers »

I'm still without electric mirrors or my electric sunroof, and do not have a clue what to do next.

I'll try and make it short, but here is the story.

Came home one night turned engine off took key out of the ignition, and all the electric window buttons were still eluminated, along with stereo, battery light on the dash and electric sunroof and mirrors. Found banging under the steering column fixed it but was unreliable, so took all the fuses out for the windows etc. Also noticed that Fans were not always kicking in, had to restart engine to get them to come on, and rear demist was playing up a bit.

Thanks to the forum, found out that the cause was more than likely the ignition barrel, so got a new one, and the fans and rear demister worked everytime, plus the battery light on the dash stopped staying on when engine was off. But even though i put the fuses back in, i did not get my rear electric windows back or sunroof or mirrors.

So spend one day pulling each relay off by the fuse box one at a time. That got my rear electric windows working again, but not the sunroof or mirrors. Then by accident i found that if i turned the rear demist button on, i got my sunroof and mirrors, turn it off, the buttons no longer light up or work. Out of rage one day i pressed the demist button many times hard as i got pissed off that they only worked when it was "on". Well now they do not work at all.

I've tried :-

Swapping the switch with another working one.
Taking all the earths off by the battery and cleaning them.
Putting a new relay in that controls the rear demist.

I just to not know what to do now, its driving me insane!
deian

Post by deian »

Sounds to me like u have further investigation to be made...

Have u followed the wiring diagrams from the haynes manual? And checked for open or short circuits via a multimeter? Also checked for correct voltages and reasonable current (amps in comparison to the items fuse values)?

Many people assume the wiring going to the fuse boxes and relay sockets will be fine, maybe not in your case, don't overlook anything. Connect a multimeter where the fuse would be, jump relays to check the function of switching side. etc etc.

From what I've heard French electrics have always been questionable, thankfully i've not had any problems so far, touch wood.

Good luck.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

We tend assume that all is well if we get a live feed or voltage reading. Many of the relays and circuits used on the Xantia require a very sound earth return connection too and I suggest you spend some time checking the earth/negative continuity at as many points as you can find. Of particular note are the earth/negative connection points around the battery, there are several and these give the earth return for the relays in the under bonnet housing which generally are for the higher load components such as the rear screen heater, sun roof, aircon, cooling fans etc.
Additionally the negative earth cable from the battery has two connection points one to the engine and a branch to the body. Check this one too for continuity and ensure the crimped terminals on this negative cable are sound and not dry giving poor connection.
Remember that under load a connection can break down and go open circuit or high resistance despite giving a good voltage reading when tested with just the meter.
Depending on the model there are a range of earth connection points around the relay/fuse holder so don't miss these out.
Good hunting and good luck. Robin
Citroens are dedicated to those who take a big bite - and just keep on chewing!