How do you tell if you need a new cambelt?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

How do you tell if you need a new cambelt?

Post by Jshodgson »

Is there anyway of telling if you need a new cambelt? My car came with no service records so I don't know if it has been done.

Also how much will it cost for me to have someone replace it? :?:

Thanks, James
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

If you dont have any history then change it anyway....Not worth taking the risk.
Going rate seems to be £150 to £200 i myself am a DIY mechanic and thanks to the forum have changed 3 belts recently..If you have some tools you may want to take some advice and have a go yourself :)
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Get the waterpump done at the same time!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Thanks for the advice, any idea how much it will cost? Is there anything else I should ask them to change?
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Im sure mine (belt & pump) was about £160
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Re: How do you tell if you need a new cambelt?

Post by fastandfurryous »

Jshodgson wrote:Is there anyway of telling if you need a new cambelt?
Yes.

When the cambelt snaps, smashes all the valves to pieces and snaps the camshaft, then you needed a new cambelt the day beforehand.

Hence, change it anyway. What's £150 to guarantee it? It's either that, or a written-off engine.
This is not a signature.
BW
My Cars: Xantia V6
2cv Special

Post by BW »

I am interested in the suggestion that the water pump should be changed at the same time. I had'nt heard of doing that before.
Do these pumps often give problems, and are they expensive or difficult to change?
I ask because I have fluctuating temperatures on my Xantia, and despite changing coolant and thermostat these persist. Just wondered if it could possibly be a pump problem.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

BW wrote:I am interested in the suggestion that the water pump should be changed at the same time. I had'nt heard of doing that before.
Do these pumps often give problems, and are they expensive or difficult to change?
I ask because I have fluctuating temperatures on my Xantia, and despite changing coolant and thermostat these persist. Just wondered if it could possibly be a pump problem.
As a rule of thumb - you replace the cambelt at some 60-80 Kmiles intervals. Every 2.nd cambelt change you replace idler & tensioner rollers - & the waterpump.
This is not because these components are un-reliable - but because this is the average expected lifetime for these components. As the waterpump and rollers are all driven by the canbelt, a failing component will cause a failing cambelt.

They MAY (and do in fact mostly) outlast a 3.rd cambelt.
But do you want to gamble - the MAY option of lasting - with your engine ?

Also the cost of a later detected bad waterpump replacement (before it ruined the cambelt) is exactly the same as replacing the cambelt - because you have to remove the cambelt again anyway ...

Its the same scheme when you replace a clutch : you are doing huge work removing the gearbox to access the clutch. Now you only replace the friction plate. 2 months later the release bearing is shot and you have to remove the gearbox again. Now 4 months later the driven plate finger springs are all gone - and off the gearbox goes again ...
Now the year after the oil seal behind the flywheel (carrying the clutch) fails and contaminates your (almost) new clutch with oil - and then ...

It goes on forever if you dont put your service money right ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

When I bought my last XM the cam belt had just been changed, but 5k later the water pump started leaking, so also fitted new belt, 5k later the head gasket went, another belt. three belts in 10k, is this a record?

Having suffered the effects of a broken belt on my wifes BX TZD, which I wrongly assumed had been replaced, it broke at about 120k the original belt! It cost me about £300 and several days work doing it myself and I had a secondhand camshaft in stock! so theres a moral there somwhere.

Anyone want a couple of XM cambelts, only 5000 miles, honest gov...
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Peter.N. wrote:It cost me about £300 and several days work doing it myself and I had a secondhand camshaft in stock! so theres a moral there somwhere.
Is it - Always keep £300 and a second hand camshaft in your tool box :?: :wink:
Neil
Now Citrtoenless