Reconditioning hydraulic pump DIY style

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Allanxantia
My Cars:

Reconditioning hydraulic pump DIY style

Post by Allanxantia »

The stop light came on, fluid everywhere, no breakdown cover!! Today I drove all the way up to the car to find that the pump had basically split in two and the three bolts which hold it all together had all snapped. I took it apart and saw that there did not appear to be too much damage, so put it back together again, in the rain, topped up LHM and it works great, possibly bettter than before!. It is an early Xantia with the single outlet pump. I intend to take it off and apart again, clean it all up and reseal it all with some instant gasket and hope for the best. I am, as usual loathed to spend any money on the car as a new pump is worth more than the car. Has anyone else stripped the pump down? Can I get new seals and O rings?
masood_ilyas
My Cars:

Post by masood_ilyas »

I have taken it apart no big deal.
The seals and rings are available from your main citroen dealer and the best bit is that they are not very expensive . I seem to remember paying £10 for all the seals. Have a look at the inlet pipe they can split and let air in leading to bubbles in the system later on. Good luck
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there.. I must say I am impressed..I had no idea that a pump could be "repaired" by the roadside !! I always thought these things had to be put together under spotless conditions. But if it works, then the jobs a good 'un. there have been a few threads on DIY pump reconditioning on here, so hopefully you'll have some replies from people that know what to do.. I shall be watching with interest.. I have a 93 tdsx. regards Martin
I won't do that again
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

http://tinyurl.com/g2n2n

I found a local economy tools shop selling individual O rings for 4p each! In fact a whole NEW set of 100's was about £10-15.

Try;

http://tinyurl.com/kfmct

Andrew
Allanxantia
My Cars:

Post by Allanxantia »

Hello mpr1956,
My roadside repair was certainly not "spotless conditions" I was standing under the bootlid in hailstones, and I am far from convinced that all the mating faces were as clean as possible so I do intend to redo the job, I think I will get new seals from the dealer then. I will also replace the inlet pipe as the end of it is rather perished looking
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its the older BX type pump that won't come apart- the later Xantia ones are different and do come apart for easy repair!!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

bxbodger wrote:Its the older BX type pump that won't come apart- the later Xantia ones are different and do come apart for easy repair!!
By later pumps what years are you talking about ? I suspect the pump on my 1997 of having a suction leak, as even after substituting the inlet pipe, I'm still getting ride problems (loss of damping and harshness) that would suggest air getting into the system, so I was hoping to strip the pump down and replace all the seals if necessary...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I don't know!!!

Someone posted about it ages ago with pictures of a Xantia pump in various stages of dismantling, hopefully someone will remember who it was!!

All I can recall is that unlike the BX type pump, it actually looked as if it could be dismantled.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I've found ALL the Xantia pumps are the type with through bolts that allow the body to be separated rather than the sealed variety on Bx's and earlier.

I linked the previous forum discussion here in my last post a few steps back above here. It's all discussed with piccys too!!

Andrew