AX gearbox oil top up.Help needed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Quinny
My Cars:

AX gearbox oil top up.Help needed.

Post by Quinny »

Can anyone tell me where the top up plug is on a AX 1.1 gearbox,as mine needs a drink after the halfshaft came adrift today,while changing a strut.

I have an idea,but want confirmation,and also need to know what size the plug head may be,if it's the one I'm thinking it is.

Cheers peeps.

Ken.
99 406 HDi. (Mine)
02 Xsara HDi. (The gaffers.)
fred1

Post by fred1 »

If it is the same as the 1.0l (and I believe it is) the plug is on the side of the gear box towards the the front (passenger side), between and slghtly above two hex head bolts. It requires a "square" ended tool (7mm-5/16inch) to remove it, which happens to be the same size as the connecting rod on most internal household door handles. If you are stuck one of these (temporarilt removesd) and a spanner will normally serve. I find a good pump oil can is the bet wat to put in the oil as there is no room to upend the oil bottle and use the supplied filler tube.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Quick question roughly on the subject....

How important is it that Gearbox oil is changed? I'm talking a 1.0 106 here.

Sorry to but in :)
Regards
Joe
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pheonix wrote:Quick question roughly on the subject....

How important is it that Gearbox oil is changed? I'm talking a 1.0 106 here.

Sorry to but in :)
You dont change gearbox oils - its supposed to last "forever". In practical terms it means you change it after larger service works like a clutch change when you have to drain it out anyway.

The reason is that the gearoil is "only" exposed to mechanical load - there is no extreme temperatures - and change of temperatures. Neither is it exposed to a combustion process which leaves all sorts of crap in the oil.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kitch
My Cars:

Post by Kitch »

Theres the bung on the side, or you can fill it through the breather at the top....pull the plastic cap off and insert funnel.
1991 Citroen BX 16valve

1998 Citroen Xsara 1.9TD SX

1993 Peugeot 106 XSi

1995 TVR Chimaera 400