Peugeot suspension - bad knock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Peugeot suspension - bad knock

Post by jgra1 »

sorry all put this in Citroen to get some more coverage

Hi All, I am trying to do a favour to a friend by getting her 405 through its MOT (that is now done, but there is a very ominous knock from front drivers wheel area)

For the MOT I did,

2 x disks
Both Offside inner suspension arm bushes

that is all i have done in that area of car.
The bushes are new, the ball joint is good, the roll bar is fine, and yet there is this loud knock , you can feel it thru body of car (even the wing mirror moves!).

I had to lower the subframe the help with Suspension arm removal, but that has been bolted up properly.
The knock ONLY happens under heavy braking, and only after you have gone back a bit and then forward again. (i.e. the problem has reset itself)

I have one clue, the suspension strut is very loose in it's mounting, so, with the lower arm removed, you can move the strut easily around under the wheel arch, and also you can lift if about 10mm up in the air. The looseness is in the (cup bush cup) area at the top.

my theory, hard application of the brake it twisting the whole strut enough to make this bad noise?

if this is the cause, whats the cure?

any one else hazard a guess?

thanks as always
John
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

i had a loud knocking noise from my 306 when it was under heavy braking. It turned out that the cause of it was the rear axle rubber suspension bushes were knackered.

After replacing them, it was a different car to drive.

Not sure what it would be coming from the front though. I think my brother had this trouble with his 405, if my memory serves me right, i think he had the strut tops replaced. Don't hold me to that though.

David.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot suspension - bad knock

Post by AndersDK »

jgra1 wrote:The knock ONLY happens under heavy braking, and only after you have gone back a bit and then forward again. (i.e. the problem has reset itself)
Exactly this symptom is wellknown from the BX : driving reverse and braking will move the front brake pads against their rear stops where they rest until going forward and brake again. Then the pads are moving against their forwrad stop with a rather loud clonk. And only in this situation it will do the clonk.
Its considered a "normality" for the BX - and I believe it is in fact rather common for many car models with brake pads that are allowed to move a bit in the caliper.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks chaps

thing is, its only started doing this since i have been near it...

none of my 405's ever did it..

i think i have to try the top strut mount first off..