Xantia 16v 2.0i long-shot request!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Some weird sh*t does go on when messing with Cits!!

Does anyone who runs an EARLY 16v 2.0 know if the oil dipstick is the same on ANY other Xantia...?

It was strange how a newly purchased Xantia 16v seemed to have no oil in it so I bought some to top it up; then 5 litres later with not even a smudge on the dipstick I realised something wasn't right!! :lol:

The confounded dipstick wasn't original!! It certianly wasn't sealing on the tube either so it managed to chuck oil everywhere to worry me even MORE on top of the overfull engine on the trip homeward bound. :shock:

Dropped the lot today and let's just say there WAS a damned sight MORE than the 5.4 litres Citroen recon you need with a new oil filter fitted. :x

Now, 16v's aren't thick on the ground in yards around here but other Xantias are, so if someone fancies comparing the length of theirs' with another Xants!!

:lol:

You KNOW what I mean, honestly!! It'd be very helpful TO KNOW, and allow me to actually USE the car confidently without worrying about the engine!

I have the means to answer my own question in another couple of days when [IF!!] I get the opportunity to see my other one laid up in my barn, but it's a "few" miles away and not convenient to go traipsing to when someone may know the answer almost immediately. :roll:

I'm doing my upmost to keep everything on the list here as surreal as befitting Citroen... 8) :lol: :roll:

All the best,
Andrew
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Andrew,

Would it not be easier to drian and refill with corret amount of oil and then worry about the dipstick after.

Not trying to make you suck eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Regards

Kenny W
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hold on a second Andrew - and I'll look up PR-net for dipsticks.
Its a Mk1 (pre facelift) 2.0-16V (XU10J4) engine ?
You dont have the RP number of Xantia by any chance ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Kenny, that's what I've done today!! I recon the actual dropped valume was about 8 litres!! The measured fill is just over 5. The handbook says 5.4. The confounded oil filter was seemigly welded on and access to get my oil filter wrench on it was totally hopless, but I got there in the end!!
Still, it would be nice to get it on the correct mark - there isn't a level gauge like Cx's and Xm's.

Anders, the car couldn't be ANY earlier than one of the first '93 ones. IIRC the RP is 60*3 or sumsuch. It's got the single high pressure pipe into the main hydraulic pump and the airbagless nice radio controls steeering wheel.

It's a VSX 2.0i 16v. I know the inlet manifold was a totally different design on later 2.0i 16v's. I'm told this one has that extra bit of 'go' over it's later counterparts. Seems to GO well anyhow!

Chances are it could be unique to the 16v - it's at a totally different angle of attack on the engine to any other Xantia I haver at hand.

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes they are unique to this engine - even differs if A/C or not :

INJECTION XU10J4 ET SANS REFRIGERATION
1174.17 ENGINE OIL GAUGE - 89,30

INJECTION XU10J4 ET REFRIGERATION
1174.18 ENGINE OIL GAUGE - 90,80

Price in Dkr ex vat. Divide by 11 to get price in UK£ ex vat.

Thats approx 10quid for a new dipstick - not much to be sure your pistons dont hit the oil - or the pump is still submerged in oil 8)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Great thanks Anders. I've checked the original Citroen brochure that shows a drawing and a picture of the 16v motor AND MY CAR'S DIPSTICK MOST DEFINATELY ISN'T THE SAME THING - looks like it's off a Ford...

The motor is good for 155bhp - it just needs the right amount of oil :lol:

All the best,
Andrew
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Andrew,
I have a 135 bhp 2litre 16v. As soon as I get back from shopping, I will look to see if any part numbers and check length of actual metal stick. Will post later on.
Hope I can help,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Greg.

Thanks, that'd be useful though I have a feeling the engine in your car will be the later type - does it look like:

This ISN'T MY ENGINE!!

Ironically, it does look like it's got the kind of ringpull/looped YELLOW dipstick that I think is wrong for my engine... :lol:

Andrew
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

hi m8

i have a n reg 16v 2.0 xantia and it has the yellow ring topped dipstick
the complete length of the dipstick from top of yellow bit to very end of dipstick is about 23 inch
the length of the metal part of the dipstick is about 20 inch

jim
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

AndersDK wrote: Thats approx 10quid for a new dipstick - not much to be sure your pistons dont hit the oil - or the pump is still submerged in oil 8)
Now all he has to do is explain to a Citroen dealer that there were two, very different 2.016v petrol engines.

Considering I had one insist my BX19TZi was a diesel I don't hold out much hope. :?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Homer wrote: Now all he has to do is explain to a Citroen dealer that there were two, very different 2.016v petrol engines.
There are more than two...

135, 155, 167 bhp, plus the 180bhp that the 206 GTI got. On the upside, the bottom ends are all pretty similar, its just really the heads and manifolds that are different and probably the dipsticks too!

If the Citroen dealer turns out to be unhelpful, you could try your Peugeot dealer instead, I'm sure there will be a Peugeot of some sort with that same engine.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Just go & get a new dipstick from the main dealer, About £5.

Quote the cars VIN number & job done

Also the 206 GTI 180 ISNT an XU lump, Its an EW & the Xantia never had those fitted.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Think some of you got me a bit wrong here ...

If you look above you will see I submitted the Citroen part no exactly for that dipstick to the early 2.0I 16V - nothing to explain. Just ask for that part no and pay your 10quid.

BTW : new dipsticks generally are approx 10quid from Citroen - in the 1.0-2.0 engine range.
Its certainly no worth riscing getting the wrong dipstick from the breakers at that price 8)
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Well, the one I've got looks a dead ringer for an Mi16 2.0 16V - according to Citroen's own figures it's good for 155bhp. :twisted:

The car goes well with whatever oil there IS in it; have been playing with it to see if any warning lights come on in extremis... :wink:

It's all metal topped on the rocker with highlighted ridges and 16v lettering in a machined finish. I know from looking at all references I can find as well as browsing on the net that the correct dipstick is an orange red with a kind of flat topped drawing pin head and a lower collar that actually seals inside the throat of it's tube.

LOOKING INTO THE ENGINE BAY THE ACTUAL DIPSTICK IS ON THE REAR LEFT OF THE ENGINE NOT THE MIDDLE FRONT!! [piccy shows the driver's eye view!!]

And er NO, I haven't taken the engine out just to show everyone the dipstick I'm talking about!! :D

I could try throwing myself at the mercy of the local Peugeot dealer I guess; can't get any LESS sense out of them than the Cit guys will offer I s'pose although I have got a Citroen PR.net number which must count for summat!!

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

AndersDK wrote:Think some of you got me a bit wrong here ...

If you look above you will see I submitted the Citroen part no exactly for that dipstick to the early 2.0I 16V - nothing to explain. Just ask for that part no and pay your 10quid.

BTW : new dipsticks generally are approx 10quid from Citroen - in the 1.0-2.0 engine range.
Its certainly no worth riscing getting the wrong dipstick from the breakers at that price 8)
I agree entirely Anders - HOWEVER, there's a fair bet that my local Citroen guy may have trouble comprehending the concept that Xantias were actually produced and sold in the UK with PETROL engines as well as TD's!!

On top of this hurdle is a variety of 16v 2.0is's to contend with!!

All will pan out when I speak to them on Tuesday.

I couldn't resist stopping by at the local breaker's today to see if I could get ANY type of dipstick that would seal the feed pipe irrespective of the metal length but alas, Xantiae included I'm still stuck with the stunted and leaky effort I got with the car. Always useful to have an excuse to call in though.

Wouldn't be surprised if someone's got this yellow one I've got from a later 2.0 16v Xantia believing it to be the same engine etc...

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 15 Apr 2006, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.