spare plugs near handbrake: what are they for?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

spare plugs near handbrake: what are they for?

Post by deian »

these sockets were found under rear electric window switches in the back of the centre column (next to handbrake), one was a big red socket with maybe 20 pins, the other was a smaller yellow one with maybe 10 pins? any idea what they are for?

so i'm assuming ALL wiring is already in the car for all the option, it's just a matter of plug and play, so could this be true about cruise control?

thanks
Last edited by deian on 14 Apr 2006, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi deian,

Exactly as you wonder... Electric window harness... It cheaper to produce and lay in a particular harness in a model, then NOT fit the rest depending on trim.. Saves producing more then one harness for the area in the car.

IF you can be intersted and find it worth the effort, remove the rear door inner panels and see if theres a spare plug stuck to the door inner.. My guess is then the car is ready to take electric window winders and switches

Regards
citroenxm
deian

Post by deian »

I already have electric windows, these plugs are in ADDITION to the already plugged in rear electric window switches, i have the exclusive model so it comes with all options except cruise control and trip computer if thats any clue.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

My mark 1 had an electronic module underneath the rear electric window switches that is not present on my mark 2. I can't remember what is was for but it took up loads of space under the little oddments tray. My mark 2 has nothing under there except wires for the 2 electric rear windows. One of the connectors could be for the electric sunroof, its switch fits in front of the rear offside window switch and looks identical to the window switches, not sure about its colour.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

deian wrote:i have the exclusive model so it comes with all options except cruise control and trip computer if thats any clue.
An Exclusive without cruise control...I didn't think there was such a beast!!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

f00lzz wrote:An Exclusive without cruise control...I didn't think there was such a beast!!!
Cruise was only available on petrol versions with auto gearboxes :(
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
deian

Post by deian »

Mine is mark2 with the odd plugs, it doesn't have cruise control and doesn't have an elecric sunroof, it does have air con, and it is exclusive, it's the last of the 2.1td exclusives before the HDi replaced, March 1998.

So maybe the small plug could well have been for a sunroof and the other big red one for a diagnostic computer?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

deian wrote:Mine is mark2 with the odd plugs, it doesn't have cruise control and doesn't have an elecric sunroof, it does have air con, and it is exclusive, it's the last of the 2.1td exclusives before the HDi replaced, March 1998.

So maybe the small plug could well have been for a sunroof and the other big red one for a diagnostic computer?
One of the plugs is almost certainly the sunroof cable - as the sunroof switch is next to the rear window controls.

I doubt if the other one is for a diagnostic computer - the diagnostic plugs are in the drop down compartment with the owners manual and fuses - a round plug and a square one.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I wonder if it's for an immobiliser keypad?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It's for the cruise control computer which is situated just behind the handbrake on my V6.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
deian

Post by deian »

so i could have cruise control? how does it work, is it just a matter of plugging in the computer and then the stalk and the switches to the steering shroud?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

deian wrote:so i could have cruise control? how does it work.....
Cruise control is part of the Lucas EPIC ECU on the XM's with the 2.1TD with cruise control. You could check if the XM and Xantia share the same EPIC ECU.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
deian

Post by deian »

anyone got more info? links/advice? this could be a project for me :D
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Can someone tell me the purpose of cruise control ???

Is it only for people with a lazy foot ? :lol:

How often in real life driving would you even be able to use the thing, as more often than not you have to follow the speed of the car in front of you rather than some arbitary speed limit.

Seems like a somewhat pointless gimmick to me...and in all my years of driving I've never actually come across a car with one. (Perhaps they're not as popular over here with our types of roads...)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Until you've driven a car with cruise, you won't know how beneficial it can be.

I didn't think I'd like it. Whilst I still don't own a car with cruise fitted, I've driven a number of vehicles with it, and it's brilliant for long distance driving, even on non-motorway roads.

On dual-carridgeways and motorways it really comes into it's own. Makes driving less stressful, and means you are making sensible progress. It also gets you OUT of the habit of following another car all the time, which means you give yourself a bigger safety margin.

All in all, a very nice option, and it's the only electronic control I am actually happy to have in a car!
This is not a signature.