Cit ZX 1.4i nearside outer boot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hello All,

Is it possible to remove the nearside drivshaft to renew the outer CV boot with the car jacked up in the driveway ?
I have removed the swivel pinch bolt but the wishbone won't drop low enough to release the swivel pin from the strut, but it does allow access to all of the three torx bolts holding the swivel to the wishbone.
If these are removed, is it then possible to pull the strut outwards enough to get the CV joint clear of the hub ?

All the best,

Kristian
Last edited by KEB1 on 17 Apr 2006, 23:25, edited 3 times in total.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The pin will come out.

Either: Push the hub in hard towards the car as you lever the pin out (and I mean hard - I got my knee behind my elbow and leaned on it).

Or: Get a long bar and put it over the wishbone and then under the car. Protect the bottom of the car with a block of wood and now swing on the bar and the wishbone should pop out.

The first is the scientific approach, the second is the brute force approach :lol:

You can otherwise undo the 3 torx bolts and then pull the hub outwards as you suggest - getting the bolts in and out is a bit of a fag though.
Richard W
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Its possible, ive done plenty of them on the driveway at home... along with using a silly cone thing to change the boot.. lots of fun. I seem to remember having to jack the car up and tugging and pulling at the hub to dislocate the pin at the bottom to remove it. Alternatively remove the other 3 bolts (its a while since ive done one).
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hello wilkobob and RichardW,

Many thanks for your replies, I was begining to get a bit discouraged until I got your responses.
This is the family's fifth Citroen (2CV, Dyane, GS & CX) but it is the first time I have had to anything major to the ZX in two years of ownership.
However, suitably encouraged by your replies, I am pleased to say that the shaft is now on the bench awaiting attetion.
After a bit of head scratching, I have also discovered that the aftermarket inner gaiter I bought does not include the circlip, O ring, spring and plastic thrust plate that the genuine part does.
Luckily, the local motor factor has agreed to exchange it for an aftermarket
gaiter that does included these parts. Talk about traps for the unwary !
As a matter of interest, I am reliabably informed that the dealers prefer to take out the wishbone pivot bolts next to the gearbox to release the shaft. However, they have the advantage of being able to use a free wheel lift.

Again, many thanks and all the best,

Kristian.
KEB1

Cit ZX 1.4i nearside outer boot part 2

Post by KEB1 »

Hello All,

Now I am trying to separate the inner joint from the shaft. Am I right in assuming that the only way to get the can out of the cast inner joint cover is to tap around the tin lip until either the lip disappears or the can pops out, whichever is the sooner ?

As a matter of interest, how much surface abrasion\scoring is acceptable on the section of the shaft that runs in the transmission oil seal, before a new shaft is desirable bearing in mind that a recon shaft is not that expensive ?
However, I know for a fact that this recon shaft is only two years old and has covered about 1000 miles, so there should be plenty of life left in it yet.

All the best,

Kristian.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you must not damage the end that goes into the diff or the diff seal at all,you can hold the inner joint in a vice by the side walls of the tin can section of the joint,just whatch when tightening the vice if the tin can squashes inwards stop and rotate the can about one third of a turn and you will find the section that more solid,once you have got the joint held tight just gently with a small cole chisel un peen the edge of the tin can all the way round,then you can remove from the vice and pull out the splined shaft section of the inner joint,mind the grease inside is usualy very runny,if you are carefull you can re/use the inner gaiter with tin can
regards malcolm
KEB1

Cit ZX 1.4i nearside outer boot part 2

Post by KEB1 »

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your reply. My reference to the condition of the shaft surfaces arose from observations made when I removed the shaft. As this shaft has only covered 1k miles, I was a bit surprised to see any marks on it at all.
However, it is a recon shaft but as it was not leaking from the box before removal, I can only assume it is still servicable.
When I get it back together again and the car passes the MOT, I will let you know.
In the meantime, thanks for your help.

All the best,

Kristian.
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hi all,

Just got back to the ZX nearside driveshaft saga. I am a little puzzled that the shaft fitted to my car has a very solid cast metal "pot" for the triax to run in.
The only tin work to be seen is a lip on the outer edge of the solid pot, which give the impression that the tin can is within the cast pot.
I have cut off the old boot to get a better look inside and all that appears to be left is the ring the gaiter was fitted to. The shaft complete with triaxe is now separate from the pot as it could be manoeuvered out once the gaiter was removed.
It seems to me that the tin can must be within the cast pot and has to be withdrawn from the open end of the pot ie towards the hub end of the shaft.
To dismantle this joint in the way shown for the 1.4 AX for example, one would surely have to have a press as the whole pot is solid cast metal.
Has anyone had any experence of this kind of joint ?
I have some photos of the joint if anyone is interested, though I can't work out how to post them onto this forum.

Any ideas ?

All the best,

Kristian.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

going by what you say this is not the tin can type,as the tin can on the type with it fitted is about 4inch long with the cast iron section inside of it,and the type you have this tin colar is just that and dose not go inside the cast iron end cup,when removing this colar you might destroy it,regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

done one on my ZX. lots & lots of fun using the cone & plenty of fairy liquid - its like fitting a elephant with a condom :shock:
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that my ZX passed the MOT yesterday with no advisory notes.
Thanks to all who helped me achieve this result with their advice.

All the best,

Kristian. :P
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I know you dont visit the boards as much Wilkobob, but you refer to your Mondeo as being a beast....we both know thats a little far-fetched :P

Expensive mod to make it go quicker...and it was still slower than my Xantia hehehe :wink:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(