ENGINE OILS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CITMAN
My Cars:

ENGINE OILS

Post by CITMAN »

I have a citroen zx 1.4i with 72000 miles on the clock. I am currently using Comma Eurolite 10W 40, the engine has been treated with slick 50. I was wondering whether or not it would be worth trying castrol gtx magnatec 10w 40 but as it costs 100% more than the eurolite whats the differences. Will make the engine run smoother, quieter and add any more protection.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Magnatec in its own right is a fairly good oil and we discussed it recently on another thread on this forum. IF however you ad an additive, then you run the risk of possibly doubling the use of a particular substance other than oil in your engine which is why playing with additives is on par with playing with a loaded gun; chances are you'll get away with it but if things go wrong, someone's going to get badly hurt.
I suggest you have a good read of this link which is a scientific report before you go any further.
http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/snakeoil.html
Alan S
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've used Comma oils in various cars for about 5 years. Good oil, never had a problem with it although I do change it every 3-4K.
I used to drive a Mazda 626 - Magnatec used to gum up the hydraulic tappets on those engines (as did Slick 50). When I sold the car at 170K, the engine was as clean inside as the day it left the factory, I put that down to regular oil changes
On a 1.4, I'd stick to normal mineral oil changed regularly and a new (genuine) filter at every change.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I've used Comma oils in various cars for about 5 years. Good oil, never had a problem with it although I do change it every 3-4K.
I used to drive a Mazda 626 - Magnatec used to gum up the hydraulic tappets on those engines (as did Slick 50). When I sold the car at 170K, the engine was as clean inside as the day it left the factory, I put that down to regular oil changes
On a 1.4, I'd stick to normal mineral oil changed regularly and a new (genuine) filter at every change.