Yellow front light tint

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

visagti
My Cars:

Yellow front light tint

Post by visagti »

Does anyone know where I can get the yellow paint from that you used to have to paint your lights with when going to france.

I know you don't have it now but require it for the authentic look. 8)
Visa Gti 105ch - white - under restoration - NO RUST never painted
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Visa Gti 115ch - white - requires tlc
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I heard a story the yellow headlight was introduced by the occupying Nazis during the second World War so that they could tell French cars from German ones at night. If this is true I don't know - but it may not be as certainly by the end of the war there weren't many French owned cars around - and would the French have kept them for so long!
jeremy
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Not a direct answer to your question either, but Hella make yellow bulbs:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H1.asp - scroll down a bit.
ImageImage
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Yellow front light tint

Post by JohnD »

visagti wrote:Does anyone know where I can get the yellow paint from that you used to have to paint your lights with when going to france.
I recall seeing bottles of this stuff on accessory shop shelves - made, I think by Britax. It would be very useful now for repainting flasher bulbs. One of my cars got a warning at MOT because the indicators were beginning to turn white, whilst my neighbour's car recently got a fail because of it.
visagti
My Cars:

Post by visagti »

Thank you for the replies.

The last time I bought some was approx 8 years ago from Halfords but they stopped selling it at least 5 years ago :cry:

I have been told a shop called Roy Smiths near me may stock it, I'll check it out at the weekend.
Visa Gti 105ch - white - under restoration - NO RUST never painted
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Visa Gti 115ch - white - requires tlc
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I have seen glass paints in Ironmonger's shops - probably intended for those who like psychadelic lamps - but you may find that there is a yellow one. from what I remember from using the genuine article many years ago it washed off after a while.

Reminds me - must do something about my BX lights - they look as though they've got yellow paint on the lenses when I'm driving.

jeremy
jeremy
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

As a resident of France I can assure you that we don't have yellow headlights here! I think that if you find a car over about 20 years old it may still have them fitted, but 99% now have white headlights.
2000 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive which lives in the Dordogne. Previous: XM Diesel, C3 HDI 92 bhp, CX DTR Turbo2, BX TZD Turbo, CX D, GSA, GSA estate, 2CV