Suspect Air Leak ZX TD not starting ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenbx

Suspect Air Leak ZX TD not starting ?

Post by citroenbx »

Just purchased a another ZX 1.9TD the trouble i got when you first try start the car up from cold it will not fire.

I have recently just given the car a full service (Including new Beru Glow Plugs) I think its had this problem well before i got it but finding the fault is proving difficult.

If i pump the Bulb a few times in the morning the car starts lumpy but runs fine all day, but it will not start at all without the bulb pumping.

Where do i start..........
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you CAN pump the bulb and its necessary to do it every day you want to start it. THEN the problem is a leaky fuel line. No doubt.

Careful inspect the filter canister and fuel lines around here. Then follow the fuel line backwards - including under the car ! - to the fuel tank. I'm positive you will find some perished rubber or nasty rusty looking fuel lines on your way. Replace it then :idea:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

^ what he said :lol:

Plus... if it's a bosch injection pump, check the leakoff pipes and the return pipe too, as these can allow air in too.

If it's a Lucas/CAV pump, a leak in the return/leakoffs will simply leak diesel everywhere and smell.
This is not a signature.
Sturdybloke

starting issues

Post by Sturdybloke »

If its a Lucas/CAV pump there is a small round cylinder on the pump with a silver screw on top with a smal allen key slot in it (im not sure on what it does or what its called). Check that the silver disc/top is secure as on the 418 I had starting problems (only when cold) and checked everything over a period of a few weeks. When I was just about to give up i saw the small cylinder winking at me - :wink:, I could see the allen key slot on it and thought that I would check that it was secure - hey presto it was loose. My problems stopped once this was tightned up *Note* no fuel was leaking from here even though it was drawing a lot of air into the system over the period of say, 9 hours. Its worth a check. Hope this helps.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with all that has been said. The black plactic fuel filter also is a fuel heater and apparently the thermostat part can leak air. I THINK its the bolt like arrangement visible on the left of the filter body at the back but have never had cause to take one to bits yet and so am not certain. There are some postings on here about it.
jeremy
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Thanks Guys so far i have ordered a new O-Ring for between the fuel/thermostat heater and the Black Plastic Fuel Filter Holder it will be here Friday so i'll give that a go......Meanwhile i'll have another look around. I havn't traced the fuel line back to the tank yet but thats one to try.

Its a Bosch Pump........Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

May be worth substituting the last bit of flexible hose to the injection pump for a length of clear plastic - so you can see if bubbles are getting in there or not. - also means you will know when you've got rid of the problem.
jeremy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

citroenbx wrote:Thanks Guys so far i have ordered a new O-Ring for between the fuel/thermostat heater and the Black Plastic Fuel Filter Holder it will be here Friday
I know the 'O' ring is £5 + VAT. How much is the fuel filter housing please and have you ordered them from Citroen?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Check the "dead ends" on the injectors leakoff stubs too, mine had the same symptoms and one of those had a tiny split.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Fine on the see through plastic.....Thats a good tip.

To Bonechops yes its going to cost £5.18+Vat for the ring what a rip main dealer only.

Stuart you may have point there i noticed the end leak off pipe had a self tapping screw in its end......I have bought a new Kit for all the Injector Leak offs today for £6 not done them yet.

The search goes on..............this car realy needs some help but i'm getting there slowly.
Thanks All
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

see through plastic is a good idea, just dont leave it on too long, it goes brittle fairly quickly and just makes problems worse. You could also try fitting a non return valve between the filter and the diesel pump, this worked for me when I couldnt find my leak.

The trick with the clear pipe is a good one, fit a piece before the bulb, and check for air... if no joy, fit a bit after the bulb... and so on unitl the leak is found, but like I said, dont leave it on, as it goes hard and lets air in.
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

Just been looking at the pipe work.....
The faulty 94 TD has differnent piping to my 96TD but it looks to be doing the same thing.

The 94TD has a black cylinder type unit before the fuel pump (What is this ?)and a few extra tubes.The 96TD doesn't have the Black thingy.

I wonder if i could change the 94 to the same setup as the 96 ? I wonder why Citroen changed the setup after 2 Years ?

Are well the cars are coming together thanks for everyones help...Hope the Rain keeps off.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I picture of both setups would be interesting and someone might have seen it before.

How do you post pictures on this forum?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You MUST have the image stored on a public server which everyone have access to. If not - only logged on members of that domain are allowed to see the image.
There are numerous free services on the web which offers space especially to store a limited number of images.

Once the image file is stored there - then you copy the complete URL into the text you are writing right here in an reply - and then fence the URL code with the Img + /Img codes in square brackets. These Img codes may be inserted automatically if you click the tiny square window with the text Img appearing upper left over this text window when you still are in the tapping in phase (not yet submitted the reply).

Note : a URL is the universal internet address in the form : http://www.yourchoice.co.uk.etc.etc

It wont work if you put in your local harddisc address like :
C:\Drivers\Editors\etc\text\file.txt
- because only YOU have access to your drive C: - hopefully 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image