Xantia Activa V6 Project

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Xantia Activa V6 Project

Post by DHallworth »

I have just bought myself a V6 Xantia.

Does anyone have a diagram of the activa suspension, and what additional components are needed to transfer it over? I have managed to find a website which mentions replacing an Activa Ram.

Theres a guy breaking a red one in Crewe, which i might travel down and whip the bits off.

Thanks in advance guys.
David.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Er, how long have you got and how very dedicated to the task can you be?

You will need one ram for each axle, the wiring loom/s, extra pressure regulators for the two extra sphere's, the Activa suspension ecu, and that's just for starters. It will be a mammoth task :(

Andy Culverhouse a member of this forum, was undertaking such a task but I believe he ran into various difficulties, I don't think he managed to complete it in the end. Bear in mind that Andy was very enthusiastic about the project too.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

i tried to email andy from the activa forum, but i got no reply. I am pretty enthusiastic about it, as my dad had an activa, and i wanted a V6 activa, i am in no hurry to do it either.

I'd just like a diagram of the whole setup so that i can have a look to see exactly what i need from the breaker car.

David.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

David,

Andy goes under the name of ActivaV6uk.

Do search under that name on here and you will discover just what you could be letting yourself in for.

Andy used to run a website dedicated to Activa's (www.Activanet.co.uk)but it seems to have bitten the dust recently.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

is it not easier to put the V6 engine in a Activa, rather than what you are decided in doing?
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

if i put the V6 in the activa the insurance would go mental as its a power increase, whereas with the activa kit in the V6, its only classed as an uprated anti roll bar which doesn't affect it.

David.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

:D

I understand! The issue had not crossed my mind.

It is not an easy task. Get hold of some citroen documentation... There are a lot of Activa specific parts. Many of the high pressure tubes are different. Spheres, pump (I suspect) etc also different.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
deian

Post by deian »

maybe your better off getting (buying) the activa as a donor car, not just stripping the parts off the one you've seen, you may see yourself going back and forth looking for additional parts that you didn't think you needed. Just a thought.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Although in principle and functionally the Activa is "just" Hydractive 2 with a few extra bits and pieces, the reality is that a lot of the parts shared in common with Hydractive 2 are different.

Just as some examples the rear rollbar is a completely different design in a different location, so you would probably have to replace the entire rear suspension subchassis for that. The front rollbar is also massively thicker as well.

Also the ground clearance to the suspension chassis at both front and rear is different (about 20mm lower than other models) which means the suspension chassies are most likely both different.

Then you have the roll corrector which sits near the front edge of the front suspension chassis below the engine - the gap where this fits may not even exist on the standard version of the chassis, and you also have the linkages that travel across guides in the chassis and attach to the lower suspension arms.

You would also have to replace the Hydractive 2 computer for an Activa one - although they are almost the same in principle, their "mode of operation" is programmed at the factory for the model they're going into, and they can't be reassigned to a different model.

There are quite a number of other differences as well, even things like the Castor angle are a bit different on the Activa.

I know this is not what you want to hear but I suspect that short of replacing the ENTIRE suspension system including both suspension sub-chassies and all the components attached to them, and the computer, the only way to do a successful merge would be to start with an Activa CT Turbo, and change the engine..... sorry.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I crashed my V6 today.........

into my own garden wall, dick head is a phrase that comes to mind. Now I need a N/S front bumper section and trim.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

DHallworth wrote:if i put the V6 in the activa the insurance would go mental as its a power increase, whereas with the activa kit in the V6, its only classed as an uprated anti roll bar which doesn't affect it.

David.
Then swop the VIN plates at the same time as the engine ;)
Neil
Now Citrtoenless