Peugeot 405 oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pugsulike
My Cars:

Peugeot 405 oil leak

Post by Pugsulike »

Hi

I own a 1995 405 1905cc turbo diesel estate with around 240k on the clock.

A few weeks ago, it developed an oil leak. It wasn't there one day and it was the next. Overnight, it will leave a patch about 8 inches (20cms) across on the driveway after a 60 mile journey. I realise that little spilt oil goes a long way and I haven't had to top up the oil since the end of February.

The oil leaks from the right hand (timing belt) end of the engine. The trouble is I can't find exactly from where.

The crankshaft and camshaft seals are fine. I can see drips slowly running down the end of the block from above a point level with the top of the auxilliary drivebelt pulley but can't see where they start from. If you were able to look straight on at the timing belt end face of the engine block, the drips would be on the extreme left. The timing belt is not contaminated.

Because the leak started so suddenly (but hasn't got noticibly worse), it makes me think that something has failed. Does anybody know if there are any oil pipes in that area, such as a turbo oil feed/return? Or is it possible for just an oil channel seal in the head gasket have ruptured/failed? There is no loss in power, oil emulsification or other typical head gasket failure symptons that I know of.

Any suggestions or advice would be gratefully received.
405 strugglin, 406 runnin.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The head gasket has popped :cry: The oil feed gallery is at this end of the block. See here where I had similar trouble with a Xantia

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=10087

The pics don't work from there anymore, but they are still up on the net:

Richard W
pug306

Post by pug306 »

I had a similar leak on my 306 turbo diesel. Turned out to be a loose rocker cover and leaking gasket. On the 306 the rocker cover sits under intercooler, so cant be checked/tightened easily.
The rocker cover gaskets are about a fiver, and is at max an hours work.
Pugsulike
My Cars:

Post by Pugsulike »

Thanks for the replies. I have renewed the rocker box cover gasket using a sealant as well for good measure and checked it since, seems OK, no leaks there. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The head gasket still seems to be the hot favourite. Trouble is, it would be a right pain to replace it and find that it was OK after all.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Pugsulike wrote: Trouble is, it would be a right pain to replace it and find that it was OK after all.
Go for an engine clean then. Its quite easy to see fresh oil traces afterwards :idea:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image