ridin high...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

td2k
My Cars:

ridin high...

Post by td2k »

Hi,

Been driving round in my xantia for 2 weeks now, sorted out the cruchy gearbox with a bit of clutch adjustment - thanks for the tips..

A couple of issues I have found; The car sometimes lifts (whilst driving), and finally settles at the setting between High and normal (even though the setting is at normal), turn the engine off and it also drops instantly to the right height, also if parking the car when putting the steering at full lock the front goes to full height???

When parking on my steep drive the oil light comes on have checked the oil and its fine - doesnt do it on level ground.

The rev counter has a mind of its own - not too bothered about this.

Cheers
AB
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hydraulic fluid level warning light :
The fluid level MUST be checked engine idle & suspension at full height setting ONLY :!:

The un-decisive rear height is most likely caused by sticking corrector mechanism. Standard cure (which seems to work wonders most cases :wink: ) is to spray WD40 over the mechanism every day over a couple of days.

The front height may very well be exactly same problem - with same cure.

Rev counter is likely to be a TDC sensor on its way out - if your Xantia is a diesel. If its a petrol the problem is a cable/connector gremlin somewhere ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
td2k
My Cars:

Post by td2k »

wow that quick - thanks :)

I'll give WD40 a go tommorow :)

Not sure of which oil level it is, its orange with a sort of an f in the middle, usally it just comes on when I turn the ignition, and goes out within a couple of seconds, when parked on a steep hill it stays on?

Shes a 1.9 td. Is the TDC sensor used for anything other than the rev counter?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The sort of "f" symbol would be a dipstick icon - which then can not be the LHM fluid level.
Me thinks it is the coolant level - as the engine oil icon would be an oil can symbol ...

But check both engine oil and coolant level to be sure.

I suppose the larger STOP is coming on too ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

td2k wrote:Not sure of which oil level it is, its orange with a sort of an f in the middle, usally it just comes on when I turn the ignition, and goes out within a couple of seconds, when parked on a steep hill it stays on?
Is that the top right light in the warning light group ?

See: http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... arning.jpg

Thats the engine oil level light - notorious for crying wolf in Xantia's regardless of correct oil level. Usually when crying wolf it flashes a few times when you first start the engine. I havn't seen it stay on solid, but I havn't parked on any steep ground either.

My advice is to check the oil normally with a dipstick on level ground and ignore the flashing light. Bear in mind that even if this sensor was well designed and worked properly on level ground, it's unlikely it would be correct parked on a slope, any more than your dipstick reading would.

All 3 of the Xantia's in our family (2 petrol, 1 diesel) flash this light at random in about one in every 5 starts regardless of correct oil level, and I've heard a lot of people on the forum have the same problem.

(And this is on level ground, let alone parked on a slope where you're almost certain to get a false warning due to the oil draining to one side of the sump)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Low engine oil light,flashes for 12 secs after starting the engine.Mines the same,dipstick level fine,but light will flash.
Our 6X6 Volvo dumpers are the same at work.So many oil level sensors,one of them usally flashes along with the warning buzzer,but level is fine on the dip sticks.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the sensor for the XUD engine oil light is at the clutch end, which means that in the UK it tends to stay out until we park on the off side of the road when we notice it for the first time!
jeremy
td2k
My Cars:

Post by td2k »

Thanks for the replies.

It is the light on the top right of the display. I was thinking the engine oil level warning light would have been the one below it :oops: I'll ignore it (when on the drive), as the oil level is spot on :)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

td2k wrote:Thanks for the replies.

It is the light on the top right of the display. I was thinking the engine oil level warning light would have been the one below it :oops: I'll ignore it (when on the drive), as the oil level is spot on :)
The bottom right one that looks like an oil can is oil pressure.

If you see that one come on while you're driving, STOP :lol:

By the way, all these lights are in the owners manual in the pocket under the dash by the drivers door. Is it missing in your car ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
td2k
My Cars:

Post by td2k »

Just found the owners manual, in the fuse box on the drivers side. Never knew it was there :oops:
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The glove box is so pathetic that they would have to provide a home for the manual. I was lucky, my manual was out so I was able to read it and find out where it lives. :D

I can remember a time when people would retain the handbook, radio and even the jack/tools when they sold a car. Now I think the handbook forms part of the safety instructions and you're not allowed to sell a car without one.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Yes I have to admit I couldnt believe how pathetic the glove box is on the Mk1....why on earth did they stick that Anti-Chris bar on instead of making a bigger glove box.

Oh your wondering about the Anti-Chris bar....yeah its the grab handel fellow passengers hold onto when I'm driving....

oh and

A/C ... NO not Air Con but Anti-Chris.
My mate sticks his AirCon on when Im driving his 1.8TD Mondeo (Wilkobob) and it doesnt get me too far too quickly :oops:

For the past couple of months the Xantia started doing the coolant level warning light, not sure if it still does it now though.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(