VISA GTI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dredger4

VISA GTI

Post by dredger4 »

Hi I'm just about to start a rebuild of a visa GTI from 2 dead cars has anyone got any hints. Looks like I need to replace the rubber bits in the front suspension and the brakes are very stiff/siezed. One engine has a failed clutch - is it easy to replace.
thanks
terry
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Hi, I have a couple of Visa GTi's, one a stripped out sprint/hillclimb car with a BX 16v lump in. Which rubber bits in the front suspension? :) If you mean the anti roll bar bushes, they are quite cheap. If its the top mounts on the struts themselves again cheap as the front end on the gti is exactly the same as on a 205 GTi, ie i have adjustable 205 front shocks on mine.
The brakes pull from one side and the other floats across. When they sieze up they only move halfway and then the car pulls to one side. Simple thing to do is take the calipers off and split them in 2, only couple of bolts, clean it all up and put some copper slip in and on the back of the pads when you replace, new discs and pads are cheap from andyspares. The clutch is probably quite simple with the engine out and with more room but not done that so cant comment really, you can pick up haynes manuals on ebay for under £10 which might be an idea for you.
Regards
Darren
Edited by - VisaGTi16v on 12 Dec 2002 15:53:31
Jon

Post by Jon »

Visa GTi clutches are a bit of a bitch to do. Its the normal procedure, from the top, battery, battery tray, airfilter and airflow meter all out,remove the clutch cable from the lever arm, and unclip the 3 gear change rods.Also unbolt and remove the starter motor now you have room. Seem to remember having to undo a water pipe too. From underneath its crack the balljoints and remove the driveshafts (don't forget to drain the gearbox oil first!!), and the small metal plate on the bellhousing at the bottom. At this stage, and after the RH shaft is out, get your hand up on top of where the RH shaft goes into the diff and remove the rubber bung that locates the speedo cable. then pull out the cable.
With the engine suitably supported, undo the gearbox mounting (under the battery tray)then the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine.
Now is where the fun starts. The Visa GTi box is quite tight in there, and I found when I last did this job that the large stud on the top of the gearbox that bolts through the mount jambed against the inner wing. I chose to remove the stud from the box in-situ to make things easier, but it was in there solid, had to resort to large Stilsons and banging them with a hammer to shift it (Dave Burns, look away in horror man!)Once out, the box can be carefully removed.
The clutch can then be replaced. At this stage I generally fit a new input shaft seal for peace of mind.
Re-assembly is a reverse of the removal procedure as the Good Book tells us.
Don't forget to fit 2 x new diff seals and 2 litres of gearbox oil.
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com