Suspension switch.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

goldfinche
My Cars:

Suspension switch.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello This may seem a silly question but---- there is a switch just in front the suspension height adjustment lever. It has a picture of a spring on it.According to the handbook (on page 97) it states that "switch up warning light off, normal position. Switch pushed down warning light on, sports position." The switch on mine (1997) does not latch down it is always in the up position. and it does not illuminate when the lights are on and very faintly when pushed down. Question should it latch down or change states everytime it's pushed down. It does not seem to make any difference.The suspension is definately firmer than on my BX.
If I need spheres where is the best place as the V6 does not seem to be listed by GSF.
Cheers and thank you.
Geoff.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It looks as if the Hydractive fuse has blown, I can't offhand recall which one it was I had this on a VSX I owned a few years ago.
Car lights off, push the sports switch and it did not illuminate.
Car lights on, switch illuminated until it was pushed down.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

When you turn the headlights on it supplies the light through a resistor so that its dim in normal mode and brighter in sport mode, so ignore it with the headlights on.

So the light doesn't light at all when turned on when the headlights are off ? It can be very difficult to see in daylight, I ended up modifying the bulb in mine to make it brighter.

Yes, the book says the switch latches down but in fact they do not - although they are latching switches inside, there is no difference in button height when they're on or off, so you have to go by the light. (More's the pity as doing it by feel while driving would be a lot safer than peering at the light)

The effect of the switch is rather subtle anyway, its important to realise that it is the computer that decides when the suspension should be hard of soft, not the switch.

When you're driving "gently" or cruising it will stay in soft most of the time, but if you brake, accelerate, or corner aggressively it will switch to hard mode during those maneuveres. All the sport mode does it makes it switch to hard mode with slightly less agressive driving.

As Richard says, check the fuse for the Hydractive computer - it's one of the ones in the engine bay, not in the cabin fuse board, and it should be identified in the owners manual.

Another quick test you should do that will give us a bit more info is the following: Open the drivers window and close all the doors with the engine idling.

Try a bounce test on the front and rear bumpers to get an idea of how soft the suspension is. The back end should be really soft, the front should be relatively soft.

Now turn the engine off and wait about 30 seconds. You should hear a click as it reverts back to the hard mode, now try bouncing the front and the back and it should be MUCH stiffer.

Let us know the outcome of the things we've suggested so far...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
goldfinche
My Cars:

suspension switch.

Post by goldfinche »

Thank you for the quick and comprehensive reply, I will do as sugested and let you know what happens.
Cheers.
Geoff.
goldfinche
My Cars:

suspension switch etc.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello an up date on the suspension. The switch and also the air con one as well can only be seen in the dark and even then not very well so they are going to be replaced. I will investigate putting some new bulbs in them.
The suspension when soft has about 3" of travel at the rear. the front about 2" , in hard then it is vertually solid.
So thank you for your advise and to the next question, the best place to get spheres as I mentioned before there does not apear to be any listing at GSF for the V6.
Cheers.
Geoff.
JohnTurbo
My Cars:

Post by JohnTurbo »

Mandrake wrote:its important to realise that it is the computer that decides when the suspension should be hard of soft, not the switch.
:) :D :)
Citroens have more spheres.