Headlight bulbs on C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AtitudeJim
My Cars:

Headlight bulbs on C5

Post by AtitudeJim »

hi... i got a citroen c5 from 2002 HDi 110hp

i bought replacement bulbs for the headlights H1, H4 , and the minimum lights. I fitted all of them exept for the H1, due to its position and very hard access.

i asked on the citroen garage and 1 of the staff told me i need to take the front bumper off to take the headlights off then i can change the bulbs,
anybody knows a easier way to replace de h1 bulbs on the c5?? cause spending at least 20 pound on the garage is the same price as the bulbs :evil:

thx
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Erm, it will be difficult to fit H1 bulbs in the headlamps, as they actually use H7 bulbs.
You can do it without taking off the bumpers, but it is a fiddle. You may find it easier to remove the battery on the O/S, and to undo the mounting bolts from the LHM (for want of a better word!) tank on the N/S, and push it back a bit. This gives you slightly more room to work in. Whatever you do, don't try to rush the job, take your time and it should be OK.
AtitudeJim
My Cars:

Post by AtitudeJim »

ive checked... and your right H1 is not the right lamp

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bulb/c ... l=C5&type=

on that link where i bought the h1 bulbs... i saw there that DIPPED/LOW BEAM is H4 i have already the h4 bulbs installed and they only work as high beam, and on citroen the "technitian" told me that low beam is H1.

now im really confused.

what bulbs are for wich beams?

thx :wink:
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

OK, its really quite straightforward :D

The dip bulbs are the H7 ones.
On main beam, these stay alight, and in ADDITION, the main beam filaments of the H4 bulbs light up.
What would normally be the DIP filaments on the H4 bulbs are in fact used as the front foglamps.
I would recommend using the Osram Silverstar lamps, I have found them to give a very useful increase in illumination over ordinary bulbs.
Hope this helps.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I have Osram Silverstars and they are fantastic.

You can fit the bulbs without removing the bumper.

Just remove the plastic covers from above the suspension pump and battery and then unclip the suspension wiring to get more space at that side.

I have large hands and didn't have much of a problem changing the bulbs.

Keep trying, then try using your other hand, or use someone else's hand!

Ben