Xsara HDI cold performance - or lack of it....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rabenson
My Cars:

Xsara HDI cold performance - or lack of it....

Post by rabenson »

Hi All,

another query for you experienced HDIers out there. I've noticed that my Xsara HDI 90 is flat as a f**t until the engine warms up. Is this normal? ie is the ECU limiting performance to protect the engine or is there something that might need a good dose of looking at?

I only ask because I have to join a busy dual carriageway about half a mile from the village where I live on a morning and the performance is not fantastic getting up to speed on the slip road, whereas once it's warmed up, it flies down the slip road!

Cheers,

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
Honda
My Cars:

Post by Honda »

I had one HDi (Xantia) and never noticed lack of response while cold.
The ECU didn't provide such sort of protection. Notice that it was the version with intercooler (I believe the 90hp version hasn't it).

However, you should not push the engine until it has warmed up.
I remember that when driving for small trips of about 3.000kms, at the end of it the coolant and oil temperature were still low. These engines take a long time to warm up.

:idea: That's the reason why, for short distances, a petrol car is much better. It warms up quicker, and you can also use much higher revs than diesel from the start. Also it is much more fun to drive :twisted:
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

totally agree that the engine shouldn't be thrashed when cold but I'm finding that I'm having to use more revs than I would like to get any reasonable acceleration to safely join the road - when the engine's warmed up, I hardly have to rev it at all to quickly match speed with traffic on the dual carriageway.

If its not the ECU - anyone got any theories?

Cheers,

Ron
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

The car needs an ECU check to properly, and correctly diagnose the cause of the problem.

Although the lack of performance when cold seems to indicate a temperature related fault I.E. a sensor, with the lap top plugged in, it should allow the technician to test, and prove the sensor is faulty.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

Thanks activ8 - i'll give that a go. Should at least rule out anything systemic.

Cheers

Ron
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k