106 road noise - Wheel Bearings?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pheonix

106 road noise - Wheel Bearings?

Post by Pheonix »

Hi All,

I seem to be getting alot of ride noise in my 106. It seems to vary with speed, but its definately very noisy at 70. Below that it seems to change, hitting a high point at about 30-40. It also increases when I go around corners. It definately feels/sounds like noise from the front.

So I was suspecting wheel bearings possibly? Anyone think this might be the case? Only Other thing I can think of is engine mounts?

Also, anyone know how easy / hard it is to change a wheel bearing on the front of a 106? Do you have to remove the brakes at all?

Cheers all :)
Regards
Joe
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Just been told its probably the CV joint - As I get noise going around corners/it gets worse.

So, joy, need to replace those now!
Regards
Joe
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Shot CV joints usually give a characteristic knock-knock-knock when turning a corner, particularly at low speed. Shot bearings make more of a droning sound which increases when you corner and put load on the worn bearing (i.e.: increased noise when cornering left suggests the worn bearing is on one of the right wheels).

Jack the car up and examine the CV joints, checking for splits and gaps where road dirt could get in. Check for play in the driveshafts too. Also check the bearings by holding the wheel at 2 and 8 o'clock and checking for play. These checks should help you diagnose the problem.
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

batwad wrote:Shot CV joints usually give a characteristic knock-knock-knock when turning a corner, particularly at low speed. Shot bearings make more of a droning sound which increases when you corner and put load on the worn bearing (i.e.: increased noise when cornering left suggests the worn bearing is on one of the right wheels).

Jack the car up and examine the CV joints, checking for splits and gaps where road dirt could get in. Check for play in the driveshafts too. Also check the bearings by holding the wheel at 2 and 8 o'clock and checking for play. These checks should help you diagnose the problem.
Oh good. From the noises, it sounds like both! Knocking t low speeds and increased road noise ;)

By 2 and 8 oclock what do you mean?

Thanks very much or your help!
Regards
Joe
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

To update this:

Drove 200 miles today without any problems. One thing that someone recommended to me was to check the bearings heat level by touching the centre of the wheel/wheel nuts.

I did this after about 100 miles and they were all cool/the same temp. So I am thinking its probably a CV joint.

At the moment with the cursory look I've had/felt around the CV joints, I can see any obvious points of ingress, but I could be wrong!

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the driveshaft on one of these cars? Also, what would I be looking at to get it replaced in terms of labour?
Regards
Joe
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

Took it into the Garage today. To my surprise, it was the offside wheel bearing. But thats good, its cheaper!

Also, there is a hole in one of the CV joint gaitors, so thats going to get repaired on Monday as well.
Regards
Joe
tiger63
My Cars:

Post by tiger63 »

The best way ive found to check front wheelbearings is to jack up one front wheel off the ground at a time and start the car and put it into a high gear, I use 5th let out the clutch slowly and the offending bearing will scream like a banshee. When doing this make sure the handbrake is on and the car is well supported, best to use an axle stand for safety reasons
Pheonix

Post by Pheonix »

For future reference, the guy in the garage jacked the car, and then just span each wheel hard. It became bloody obvious which wheel wasn't working properly!

It now feels like I'm driving a magic carpet ;)
Regards
Joe