ZX Volcane hard ride?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

ZX Volcane hard ride?

Post by Peter.N. »

My son has just bought a '93 td Volcane, with which he is very pleased apart from the ride, which he says is hard and jittery. My wife has a td estate which he says rides much better than his. Is this a peculiarity of the Volcane or is there something he can do about it.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

From what I can remember of the brochures and specs, the Volcane has much stiffer "sportier" suspension tuning (springing, damping and rollbars) than the standard models, so I guess a hard and jittery ride would be par for the course ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

i agree

when i uprated my turbo d from a 1.8 rear axle to a volcane one with discs the size of the dampers and roll bars was much larger. the ride is much stiffer....
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

The suspension of a ZX Volcane is also set lower :D
ZX TD Volcane 133k
Several bikes (for when the car don't go)
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. So when you do judge him, you will be a mile away and have his shoes.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I wouldn't say the Volcane is hard and jittery. It handles speed bumps very well.

Maybe this one has been modified at some point?

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for all your comments and observations folks.

I drove it this evening and it does feel rather unsettled although the handling is terrific. The ride on my wifes estate is much more comfortable and my XM in a different league. My next question is : Is there anything practical he can do to improve it? I would think that swapping the front struts wouldn't be to difficult but the rear suspension looks a bit complicated. Any suggestions?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Whatever you change, I wouldn't recommend changing it at only the front or only the rear.

You're bound to upset the handling balance, for example if you make only the front softer it will tend more toward oversteer, while if you make only the rear softer it will tend more toward understeer...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks Simon, yes I appreciate that, but swapping the whole lot will lose the rear discs...I think. Dont know much about the cars, XMs are my speciality.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's plenty of things that can go wrong that will 'unsettle' the ride. The bushes split in the front wishbones making them wander about all over the place - they won't necessarily knock - on ours it just used to graunch on full lock in carparks, but the rear bush was totally debonded! Bottom ball joints can fail - either the joint, or the hole in the hub goes oval - these will usually knock though. Probably the worst offenders for upsetting the handling though is the rear subframe mounts - this can make the rear end wag and squirm all over the place, especially if you hit a bump mid corner. Usually they are knocking, but I guess it's possible they have gone soft, but not enough to knock yet. Transformed the handling on our ZX, but they were clonking away merrily. They're relatively inexpensive (£50 a set) and easy (4 hours or so) to change if you can't find anything obvious at the front end.
Richard W
robsons

Post by robsons »

Yes it is firm. Much firmer than a std ZX. The Volcane is lower with stiffer dampers and much stiffer torsion bars. It should never be unsettled - more like glued to the road.

I have one too!

Note that the bushes really do get a hard time in the volcane and it will transform the handling if you do get them done. I need mine done too now.

It will always be quite hard though. Tell him to sell it and get an Aura or soemthing if he wants it softer. There'll be plenty of buyers

Stoo