Heater problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

randomx
My Cars:

Heater problems.

Post by randomx »

hello all
have had problems with my heater in the car. Xantia 1.9 td . No real hot air. I have been told that its the heater radiator behind the dash and that its a nightmare of a job to replace. I have flushed the coolant sysem and bleed the air etc.
Does anybody want to make my Xmas and tell me its a 10min job ?
michael
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You need to be dead sure that all the air is out, did you use a header tank.
Check how hot the pipes are going to the matrix through the bulkhead and more importantly how long they take to get hot from cold, as this will give an idea of a possible restriction, if the pipes are warming up well after five minutes on tickover, that would indicate the coolant is circulating ok, the fault might then be with the flaps and their cables that controll and mix the hot and cold air.
Also check if there is a blocked pollen filter restricting air flow.
If it is the matrix the entire facia has to come out, so not an easey task by any means.
Dave
randomx
My Cars:

Post by randomx »

Dave
Can you tell me if the heating flaps can be debugged/fixed easily.
I have plenty of air but at the hottest setting the air is only barely lukewarm. I presume that both pipe temperatures should rise at a similar rate. I have ued a header tank and im pretty sute that all the air is out of the system.
thanks for the help
Mike.
michael
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Yes to both pipes getting hot together.
The heating controll cables can be replaced without too much trouble by removing the surround/heater controls/radio and radio tray, if its more serious than that it could be a bit of a grim task.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Just a silly thought - is the rest of the cooling system functioning properly? for example is the thermostat still working? I suggest you start the car from cold and see if there is a distinct difference in temperature between the body of the thermostat housing and the large hose leading from it. If both feel tepid then the thermostat has probably gone. A relatively easy job to change but make sure that you are supplied with the right size rubber type gasket (did one on wife's zx and was supplied with a thin one - needed a thick one)
If that is ok I would try flushing the element before dismantling the rest of the car. Turn heater to hot, find the heater hoses, disconnect and put a hoze on one pipe, turn on and see what comes out of the other pipe.