Parts CD on ebay... recommended?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Parts CD on ebay... recommended?

Post by deian »

this one... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-SAXO-CX-C ... dZViewItem
is it worth it?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I have not seen it but if you buy it, burn some copies made and sell them for £5.00 with free postage and you will soon get your money back. I bet you would sell 10 in the first few days :)
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
deian

Post by deian »

I will buy it next month (after pay day), and burn some copies for u all for £1 each, with cheap p&p, deal?

"Then we can all be very happy little girls and boys,
all tinkering with our pride and joys" - Deian

TIP: If i/we/you do buy it, first thing i will do is copy it to my hard drive as a backup.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Might be one of those CD copier around. My guess the CD contents is quite allright.
You can get the original CD at your Citroen dealer - but its not exactly cheap :roll: .The CD will in fact contain massive tech info + parts lists.
Only snag is that a CD doesnt get updated - like on-line web data does.

Looks like a bargain to me - honestly.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

A difficult one this - I may be proven wrong, and the content of the information being discussed here for these Citroen repair manuals may be worth checking out BUT it all sounds too good to be true; am I being a tad cynical when reading the list of models covered!?

The list shows GS GSA and CX yet these were done in Citroen's 'dark ages' when the only system used was microfiche. Then, we're into C3's and C5's with a mention of Xantia and Xsara BUT where's the BX and Visa and Ax, Zx....

These things really need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I bought a disc with a Honda VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] workshop manual for a fiver, which I accept doesn't sound too much. A week later on the net I found the very same pdf document as a download FREE with a page on the front of the document [conveniently removed off the CD] stating it was intended to be free for genuine owners & enthisiasts. The guy had paid a LOAD out to get the paper volume off the manufacturer and then charitably wanted to help fellow owners without making any monies for himself, scanning and creating the pdf. He did breach copyright, no monies were accrued and what he'd created was effectively 'freeware' and was after all for a bike that had finished manufacture. If a manuafcturer wants to he can sue for breach of copyright mind...

Somewhere along the line someone had got hold of these free downloads and thought to themself - hey this is good, I'll make some easy money for myself here...

flog it on ebay...

I made the mistake of getting a Ford Transit manual running through a PC programme for my father as he insisted on trying it for a 'few quid'. Total load of rubbish and very hard work - especially dropping loads of links as it thinks it's running on the dealer's world computer network...

Just be careful! It may be some totally half baked cobble-together of any old rubbish!

I know there are sites out there for parts manuals for the Xm & Bx and the actual workshop manuals for s1 & s2 Cx's and these are FREELY downloadable. On the net there are GENUINE guys who want to share their lucky finds etc with fellow enthusiasts and they DON'T want to make any money for their troubles. I like the suggestion of passing information for the nominal cost of the actual cd burn & postage, but it'd be easier as a download off a hosting website or link on a forum etc.

If you do fancy a punt, keep everyone informed so we don't all want to line this guy's wallet for his 5 minutes surfing the web :wink:

All the best, Andrew
deian

Post by deian »

then yes, we'll try the best option, we have plenty of time to discuss the alternatives, until then, problem with putting it all on a site is, one, someone might have done it already (if so i can't find it though), and two, you're open to getting prosecuted for it, copyright/law etc, even though it's not a commercial thing for me. lets not forget that this forum is also public to the law people
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Did I not see someone on e-bay offering to e-mail instructions on how to re-set the service counter for a few quid? Still I suppose if you don't know its worthwhile.

Just shows you the value of a site like this.

Keep it up guys and gals.

Rory
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Call me cynical but have you seen his other items on ebay? They are all 'Repair Manuals' with the following clause.

'The disc sold is not endorsed by any manufacturer and is a universal repair manual used by most garages'.

I think that he is selling the same generic CD for all makes of car but I may be wrong :wink:

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

RichG wrote:Call me cynical but have you seen his other items on ebay?

Richard
Also, although he's got 100% feedback, it's only from two customers - and probably they're his Mum and sister. It's a new venture for him!
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Parts CD on Ebay- Reccomended

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
RE- that Ebay advert. Anyone noticed this ( part of his disclaimer );

Please note, the pictures of the CD's in this listing are simply for illustration purposes only, the CD's which will be sent out will be OEM high quality TDK discs. .
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
deian

Post by deian »

thats a little vague don't you think... what exactly does that mean? OEM quality? What, Citroen gets TDK branded copies? weird.
deian

Post by deian »

he says "DONT PAY SILLY PRICES FOR THESE DISKS ON EBAY AND BID UP TO £10.00 +.".... when in fact it's currently on £23! I will ask him a question.
Garysz

Post by Garysz »

I've been watching these too. I asked him whether he had a buy now option and got no reply. Also, he claimed to be along-term e-bayer but his feedback was 0. As stated above I'll take risk for £5 but certainly not £20+ - the disk will cost < 20p, postage will be 75p, so for each disk he sells he makes £20! A nice little earner.

If any one has a copy and is willing to sell me a copy at no more than £5 all then then send me a note.
andrewhall
My Cars:

E Bay Repair Disc

Post by andrewhall »

Hi
I purchased one of these disks from E-Bay

The CD is OK but not as good as described.
Its good to use if you are doing your own servicing and need info (Service Schedule, What a Garage would check, VIN Plate locations e.t.c.) but is not a full repair manual by any means. The disk is just a copy of a generic program. It does tell you the direction and route for timing belts for example but not exactly how to do the job.
I can supply a copy of the exact same disc (As I bought it one from this guy). Would charge any of the forum members £2-00 + postage. I am in Ireland so postage will probably be in the region of £1.50.
If you want a copy just let me know (andrewahall@lycos.co.uk) and we can arrange payment/sort out postal address.

Regards

Andrew
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I see this guy has another auction for a Cit CD finishing at 7pm tonight. Already bidding is up to £28.50+2.50 p&p