Xantia oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Xantia oil leak

Post by Jshodgson »

I have just noticed for the first time an oil ptach under my car (by sump plug) when I leave it parked. There has been no recent work done to the engine compartment and the oil hasn't been changed recently.

Any ideas before I get messy tomorrow????

Thanks
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try if the oil plug is firmly tensioned. If it is then you need a new seal under the plug. This is exactly the same procedure as changing the oil.

Note that sometimes oil spillage from topping up can take the route down to the sump plug ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The first thing to do would to clean the oil off and then wait to see where it reappears. Oil is by nature 'creepy', you need to see where its coming from rather than where it is.
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

My recent experience is that oil leaks from the cambelt end of the cyl head i.e. camshaft seal or head gasket will find their way on to the back flange of the sump and drip close to the sump plug - If its not simply the sump plug have a look to see if there is oil on the offside corner of the rear face of the block (I think it might be visible through the right front wheel arch)
1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
2003 C5 HDi SX
1995 Xantia 1.9TD
1994 Xantia 1.9D
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

Thanks,

on closer inspection (and some cleaning) it doesn't seem to have anyhthing to do with the sump plug. There is oil all over the bottom of the engine and I have eben advised to have it steam cleaned then look to see where it is coming from. Is this worth doing? (cost/time etc)

Should I just accept that an 11 year old 144,000 mile car will have some oil leaks????
Had (Saxo VTR 1999 (T) LPG converted - do not ask!!!)
Had (Xantia LX TD 1995 (M) 144,000 miles)
Had (Xantia TD Estate (N) 147,000 miles !)
NOW GOT Picasso 2.0HDi (02) 96,000 miles
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most gas stations have a cleaning/tidy-up area where you can apply engine cleaner all over the engine bay - and then hose it down afterwards. Cheapest option.

Either way you are prone to get a lot more problems with water getting in to all and every electric plug in the engine bay - days of entertainment 8)

No - bite the apple and do it manually : wipe off the oil with rags. Dosnt have to be perfect as you just need to look for fresh oil traces afterwards.

Most common oil leak problem is a tired rocker cover gasket. A typical DIY project for replacing.
Next most common leak problem is a tired sump pan gasket. Also a typical DIY project.
Third most common oil leaks are from the cam & crank seals at cambelt sprockets. About the same job as replacing the cambelt.
And then of course there is the weeping HG - a known weakness on the XUD engine range.

Clean it manually for MOT and live with it until it becomes a nuisance.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Not in this country they don't, Anders, would be a good idea though!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Peter.N. wrote:Not in this country they don't, Anders, would be a good idea though!
Not common in UK ?
Hmm ... seems we do better with at least something here in DK :lol:

It is in fact quite common to find such a place at gasstations here in DK : with free soap water to soak your dirty car - or spray the engine bay - before you drive it into the washing machine. Most places also have a huge vacuum cleaner which you run by a coin box. And of course the common tyre inflator/checker.