Xantia 1.9td 1997, Little red light next to clock what is it

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Xantia 1.9td 1997, Little red light next to clock what is it

Post by Barbarian »

Recently got a 1997 1.9td xantia, There is a little red light next to the clock on the dash, It has been on constantly since i baught it, It says something about a Volumertic alarm or summit in the hand book but as far as i know my car does not have an alarm fitted, So what is this light and why is it on all the time? Im also not sure it my air con works and weather this has anything to do with it.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The light is related to the alarm.

The volumetric sensor is behind the grill around the light.

If you have the light, you must have an alarm. Have you got a 2 button plip ? If not, you probably have an alarm with no way to arm it.

If you've only got a one button plip, do your blinkers flash when you use it to lock the doors ? Thats another sign of having the alarm fitted...(although without the second button you still can't arm it)

If you don't have any plip at all, if you pick up an IR two button type and program your car to work with it, you may find yourself with an alarm you didn't know you had. :)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

By plip what do you mean the key itself that operates the central locking? If yes i have a two button one, But it seems to have stopped working, Im pushing the buttons but its not opening the central locking It was working a couple of days ago when i baught it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

As Mandrake mentions, the red light is to do with the alarm.

My two Xantias have this LED, it usually flashes alarm is armed. If the alarm is armed and then set off, then when you disarm the alarm (e.g. opening the car with the plip) this light will continue to flash.

My two Xantias have the volumetric sensors in the front doors, they're on the inside of where the wing mirrors are (at the front of each door at the bottom of the window).

It sounds to me like your alarm is permanantly armed and going off but silent. There is a button on the dash to the right of steering wheel, that is connected with the alarm. If when you open the car, you turn on the ignition and press this button (within 10 seconds of turning on the ignition ??) it will disarm the alarm. Maybe this will stop your LED from flashing.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Yes i have this button but i thought it did nothing, The little red led is not flashing its just on all the time a solid light no flashing.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I bet someone has used the siren disable switch under the bonnet to disable the siren because they couldn't disarm it properly...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

97 Xantia's don't have the alarm disable switch fitted under the bonnet, that was removed around 96. The alarm has some sort of malfunction rather than going off all the time, because if it was going off, then the headlamps would be flashing and the LED would be flashing rapidly.

The switch fitted on the right side of the dash is used to off the interior ultrasonic sensors before setting the alarm. This causes the LED to illuminate constantly until the alarm is set by the plip, whereby it then flashes slowly.

IF you have the code for the radio and a working plip, then I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see what happens.

HOWEVER, be warned that after disconnecting the battery the alarm WILL be set and more than likely go off. IF it does and your plip doesn't work, open the drivers door, quickly turn the ignition on and then press the alarm ultrasonic sensor switch to turn the alarm off.

If none of this sorts it out then you have the very familiar problem of a duff alarm control box which if IRRC costs £150ish. Unless you fancy paying this then simply disconnect it and that should sort the problem out.

The alarm control box is located right under the front passenger seat behind the bar running across the floorpan. You will have to remove the passenger seat to gain access.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
genius149
My Cars:

Post by genius149 »

Have you tried changing the battery in the plip?
XM 2.5TD Exclusive - now deceased :(
Hand-me-down Xantia TD SX (killed)
Wife - 2000 Activa (sold)
2000 Xantia 1.8 16v DualFuel (killed/sold)
Current - '99 S2 Activa +Leather+winter pack
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Okey i got my Plip working and it seems I do infact have a fully functioning alarm COOL :D ! It arms and disarms with the plip like it should and is very loud when you set it off, The little red led flashes when its armed But when i disarm is with the plip and get in the car like normal little led stays on all the time like it has been. Is this normal? Its does'nt really matter tho since the alarm is working fine.
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Barbarian wrote:Okey i got my Plip working and it seems I do infact have a fully functioning alarm COOL :D ! It arms and disarms with the plip like it should and is very loud when you set it off, The little red led flashes when its armed But when i disarm is with the plip and get in the car like normal little led stays on all the time like it has been. Is this normal? Its does'nt really matter tho since the alarm is working fine.
When the alarm is off, the red led should also stay off, until the next time you reactivate the alarm.

Not sure why yours stays on, but someone with more knowledge will be hear shortly. :roll:
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Now that the plip is working and only if you have the radio code, I would suggest two courses of action. First disconnect the battery and then reveal the alarm computer from under the passenger seat. Unplug it, clean the connectors, carefully and reconnect. Don't be surprised if the area under the seat is damp! Dry it all out and check for leaks around the lower screen edge if it is wet or damp. If the area is damp or wet then treat the connectors with a little WD40 to reduce any dampness in the sockets or on the plugs.
Then reconnect the battery and be ready to silence the alarm with the plip or ignition key as you connect the battery - it will go off.
This will reset the whole system to default including the keypad so ensure you understand how to set this too. I would suggest you reset the keypad to zero's before you start.
Good luck. Robin
P.S If you dont have the radio code there are a number of radio decoder companies around plus Citroen may still have the radio code on record for your VIN number if the radio is still original.
Citroens are dedicated to those who take a big bite - and just keep on chewing!
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

I dont think ill bother with all that mate, the alarm works, ill just live with the red light. cheers anyway mate.