MOT FAIL

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pikecrazy
My Cars:

MOT FAIL

Post by pikecrazy »

Car failed today with the front offside handbrake , probably the cable :?:

Nearside is perfect.

Is this an easy fix ?

Some pointers please ................
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes they are very easy to replace,it is prob half a sppaner job if you are using the bol guide of dificalty,just make sure before you conect the calliper end start the engine and press hard on the brake pedel two or three times,this will adjust the hand brake mechanisum in the calliper up,also check that the lever on the calliper is comming right to the end of its travel under spring tention,as if it dose not the hand brake mec will not adjust itself up fully
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

....I was just about to say the same. Make sure that the lever on the caliper can return to the stop or it wont adjust. (Repetition for emphasis)
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

You make it sound much easier than Haynes.

I looked up the job of replacing a handbrake cable a while ago.

Haynes talks about removing the exhaust, disconnecting the gear linkage rods and removing an exhaust heat shield so that you can get to the equaliser fitting where the two caliper cables join to the handbrake lever cable.

Removing an exhaust section which probably involves corrroded bolts and then subsequently fitting new bolts with exhaust joint paste doesn't sound like fun to me.

Do you know of an easier way of doing the job. Or have I been tricked once more by the "Book of Lies" ?

cheers,

Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

KevMayer wrote:You make it sound much easier than Haynes.

I looked up the job of replacing a handbrake cable a while ago.

Haynes talks about removing the exhaust, disconnecting the gear linkage rods and removing an exhaust heat shield so that you can get to the equaliser fitting where the two caliper cables join to the handbrake lever cable.

Removing an exhaust section which probably involves corrroded bolts and then subsequently fitting new bolts with exhaust joint paste doesn't sound like fun to me.

Do you know of an easier way of doing the job. Or have I been tricked once more by the "Book of Lies" ?

cheers,

Kev
To change either of the cables that goes from the balancer to the calipers, you don't have to do anything with the exhaust or your gear linkages, at least not on my Xantias (both TDs). All you had to do was remove one of the securing washer type things from the heatshield, flex it out of place a little then stick a block of wood into the gap to keep it open. You can't see much of the balancer mechanism doing it this way but working by feel it is possible to change the cable, I've done 3 cables this way.

There is a third cable that goes from the balancer setup to the handbrake lever. According to Haynes to change this one the exhaust and its heatshield have to move, possibly the gear linkages too depending on the model, but since I've not had to do that one I couldn't confirm.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

yes as kowalski has stated you dont need to remove the heat shield or exhaust just loosen off the heat shield and bend it out of the way.