bleeding and changing accumulator sphere q's?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

bleeding and changing accumulator sphere q's?

Post by deian »

here goes... on the pressure regulator i see four bolts. two top, two bottom ones, which one is the bleed valve, i'm guessing the top one further from the sphere?

so the procedure is... , put steering wheel on full lock to the right, loosen sphere ("crack") with suspension on highest first, then lower suspension with engine running, when lowest switch off engine, (bleed?) replace sphere, make sure seals are removed and replaced, screw new one on hand tight, start engine, do citrobeotics 99 times, bleed on way up, then bob is very much my uncle?

do i need to bleed first? (when the engine is swithced off on lowest?) and when exactly after?

i'm doing it now, so exciting.

thanks, i will check for replies after food.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I think the bleed is the only 12mm head bolt on the pump. I just lowered the car to the lowest setting with the car running. Then switch of engine and open bleed 1/4 turn. You will hear the oil go back to tank. Then remove accumulator and refit new. Making sure the sealing face is clean and the seal is fitted. Close bleed and start car.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Bonce chops is correct, its quite a simple job. if you can unscrew the sphere! the bleed, pressure release, screw is on the front of the regulator just below the sphere. Dont undo it unless you have adequate clearance under the car or it could fall on you!
deian

Post by deian »

i've been doing it from the top, i think i will need a proper strap wrench, i thought i could get away with a decent oil filter wrench.

anyway, my question is... you (peter.n) said bleed from the regulator, and (bonechops) said from the pump, as far as i understand i think the regulator is what i need to bleed, not the pump (can anyone confirm this).

Also there are four bolts on the regulator, which one do I bleed? 4 bolts, can anyone tell me which one?

thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that was a slip of the keyboard with bonce chops, the de-pressurising screw is on the front of the regulator. Yes, you will need a good strap wrench, I have one made from a section of double motorbike chain and even that struggles sometimes. If its really stubborn, you may have to take a cold chisel to the weld around the equator, a good sharp blow in the direction of unscrewing should free it.....I have been known to take the regulator off and put it in the vice!

The bleed bolt is by itself, just below the sphere, its 12mm. You will see it projects from the regulator facing forward.
deian

Post by deian »

but there is four of these 12 mm bolts? or there is 4 bolts and only one is 12mm? the top right one?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I think you will find the others are 13mm. Yes I did mean regulator and not pump :oops: . The last one I did required a cold chisel to free it off but mind that radiator. Where abouts in the world are you?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
deian

Post by deian »

north east anglesey in north wales, now it makes sense, i think i'm waiting for a strap wrench first, the only thing i have is a metal oil filter remover that tightens over by thread so it slips :cry:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hammer and chisle Deian

trust me
:)
deian

Post by deian »

what? just dig away at it nakedly? :lol: or put something on, like a jubilee clip over some rubber and then hammer the screw with a chisel. is it best from the top, or below the car? i love my radiator though, it's spotless. don't wanna hurt it.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

your better off with a chain wrench not a strap,my chain wrench is a 30cm stanley pipe wrench it cost me around £30 some years back now,also before you fit the new sphere you must dip your finger in LHM and run it around the matting face of the seal,otherwise when you snug the sphere up it can puker up the seal,then it will leak
regards malcolm
deian

Post by deian »

thanks guys, chain wrench it is then.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Tip!

Make sure the regulator is firmly bolted down before trying to unscrew the sphere... any movement in the regulator will put strain on the hydraulic pipes attached to it..... especially if employing 'shock tactics' with a cold chisel (my preferred method)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

...and when you replace the sphere, only do it up hand tight.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

And good luck to removing it from the top - IMHO this is simply not possible using any kind of strap or chain wrench etc, in my experience the accumulator sphere must be removed from the BOTTOM, which means driving the front of the car up onto ramps...

There is no room to get a good swing between the radiator and the engine from the top side, if the sphere is even remotely tight. Probably the only approach that might work from the top would be the hammer and chisel approach but I would use that as a last resort.

And this is on a petrol engine where there is plenty of gap between the engine and the radiator. Does your 2.1TD have lots of pipes etc in the way behind the radiator like the 1.9TD does ? If it does, then you definately have to do it from underneath...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive