Xantia 1.9td 1997 Temptation, CD changer possible?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

Xantia 1.9td 1997 Temptation, CD changer possible?

Post by Barbarian »

Iv recently purchased a 1997 xanta 1.9td tempation edition, Cheep as chips and great ride quality. What i was wandering is if the radio in this edition can take a cd changer? Iv got a 5 year old kenwood cd player from my old car but it does not look like it would fit into the dash or even look right in there if it did. Plus i like the steering wheel controls and would like to keep them, so it would be better just to get a cd changer to work with the current radio. Is there anyway to tell if a cd changer will work without ripping the whole thing out of the dash and looking for a socket on the back of the radio?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

You can buy a 'stereo fascia adapter' which basically makes the stereo hole smaller by filling it in with plastic :lol: so that an aftermarket stereo looks snug.

You can buy 'adapters' so that you can still use you steering wheel controls with your aftermarket stereo however i recommend waiting for some replies off here for info regarding that.

You can buy the fascia for about £20-£30 from Halfrauds for example or you may be able to get it a tad cheaper off FleaBay and an adapter should certainly be less than a tenner.

Whoops the above is if you are going to fit your KENWOOD in.

I would take out the current 'original' Xantia stereo and if you going to disconnect it at anytime make sure you have the security code as it may well be a £10 to get it from the dealer or quite possibly more :roll: ...look on the back of the stereo and on the side which the connector blocks go into their should be a 'round' black DIN connector that a cd cable plugs into...if you dont have this then you need an upgraded Xantia Stereo which does have one OR fit in your KENWOOD as above.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The facia adaptor is probably cheapest from - guess where - your friendly Citroen dealer. I needed one for our ZX about 3 years ago - Halfords £30, Citroen - just under £10!

Strange but true!
jeremy
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

If its quite simple to do ill probably just get my old cd player fitted, Id still like the stearing wheel controls to work tho Ill need to find out if its compatable!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

If your local Citroen dealer wants much more than £10 for a facia adapter this is where I got mine. I was happy with the price and the service so I feel it's only fair that I give them a mention here.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If its quite simple to do ill probably just get my old cd player fitted, Id still like the stearing wheel controls to work tho Ill need to find out if its compatable!
Fitting the player's easy. (Hint: you can run the changer cable through the top of the passenger footwell and down the side of the carpet, under the trims.)
AFAIK, there's no adapter to use a Kenwood changer with the steering wheel controls though.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I have seen them for Sony head units
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

The radio thats in the xantia is the one with a cd jack plug on the front of it, i take it that means its not got a cd changer connection at the back? If i installed the kenwood then i would'nt have a cd changer id just front load the discs but is there no way to get the steering wheel controls to work with it?
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Are there only 2 speakers in the xantia 1.9td? Seems kinda crappy audio to come with a quality car, my old nissan had great audio as standard.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

it looks like i have a Blaupunkt 3030 and not the needed 4030RDS. So far i have come up with this for the kenwood. Its an old model KDC-4080R so i dont know if it will be compatable with this adaptor http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install/sh ... .asp?id=46

the 93 to 2000 one. Anybody have any idea?
Bigjoe
My Cars:

Post by Bigjoe »

With reference to the adaptor,autoleads should do a wiring harness adaptor suitable,

Good luck! :D
Im out there somewhere!

Xantia 1.6i LX (i know but i had to start somewhere!)
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

okey i seem to have found it but will it work with all kenwood even older models like mines. The part i found is pc9-709 is for the steering wheel controls to work with my head unit. Will the kenwood actually need a harness adaptor just to connect to the cars socket?
icedillon

Post by icedillon »

I managed to fit a blaupunkt changer to my factory original stereo.

This is how you do it!

http://steve.jellybaby.net/xantia.htm
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

I have got a '95 xantia dimension. When I got it it was fitted with a standard 3030 head unit and a clarion cd changer in the boot which didn't work. I bought a new changer on ebay for £17.
As the 3030 doesn't have a a din input for a cd changer, there is an fm modulator hiden behind the glove box and a seperate cd control unit which i have stuck to the centre console next to the immobilosor keypad. The fm modulator converts the din signal from the cd changer into an fm signal and is connected through the fm aerial socket and I have this frequency stored as one of the channels on the radio. To listen to the cd all I do is turn on the cd changer and select the relevant channel on the radio. The sound quality is as good as any cd head unit I have listened to. I have seen the fm modulators on ebay for around £15 and they also do them for different makes of changer.

Also as my car only had two speaker and I like my music to sound good I bought an accoustic shelf (again from ebay!!y) and a decent pair of 6 x 9 speakers and wired them into the rear speaker terminals on the headunit. Result, excellent sounding music with good bass sound instead of the tin can sound you get from the standard two citroen speakers.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

How do you actually get the radio out of the dash? I cant see any screws or anything and in the hand book is shows a pic of a flip up one not a fixed radio in the dash.