seals for hydraulic fittings.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bigjoe
My Cars:

seals for hydraulic fittings.

Post by Bigjoe »

Hello all,
I have re-occuring fluid leak from one of the hydraulic screw fittings that go into the distribution block(i think,where the accumulator sphere is?) can i depressurise the system and use ptfe or are the seals available from citroen or anywhere else?

Thanks in anticipation

Joe
Im out there somewhere!

Xantia 1.6i LX (i know but i had to start somewhere!)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

NOPE !

Its not like housewater systems exploiting 10bar pressures. We are dealing with 170bar here :shock:
The device (mounting base) that the accumulator sphere is attached to - is the PR (pressure regulator).

The "screw fittings" here are pipe unions which have a unique seal. These seals are available from Citroen at some £1 (or less) each. To replace you must fully unscrew the uning and remove the pipe from the port. If the old seal does not follow the pipe end, you have to go fishing using a paper clip with an ever so small hook bent on the tip, then hook the seal up from the pipe port.
It appears the seal is some 8mm lenght of precisely cutted LHM hosing and fits over the end of the pipe.
When re-fitting the new seal - you MUST fit the seal over the pipe end - NEVER down the pipe port - before refitting pipe and union. This is because the sharp end of the pipe would cut down the seal if seal fitted down the port first, and then you get a new leak ...

The pipe union is merely nipped up feeling the rubber seal is now starting to give resistance (and being compressed) - never torqued.

The seals are made to fit exactly the diamter of the pipe it goes over. I.e. on the PR it would be a 6.3mm and a 4.5mm seal.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Bigjoe
My Cars:

Post by Bigjoe »

Thanks,i was pretty sure that i couldnt use ptfe or similar but i didnt know if there was another way of doing it.

I shall investigate further,my nearest dealer parts department is 30 miles away in edinburgh :(
Im out there somewhere!

Bigjoe
My Cars:

Post by Bigjoe »

Ive just looked at gsf and they list LHM pipe seals in sizes 3.5mm,4.5mm and 6.35mm,any clues which one i would need?
Im out there somewhere!

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The height regulator connections use 3.5 mm. I got some from GSF.

I purchased some seals for this height corrector replacement job from a Citroen main dealer at first. But they really didn't know what I needed. They gave me what turned out to be 4.5 mm seals which were too big.

The best thing to do is to take one of the old seals off and measure the internal diameter. This means having the car off the road until you get new seals. Go to GSF but you may need to tell them their own part number. I know that my local GSF hadn't got a clue that they stocked these seals until I got them their own part number off their web site.

My local GSF (Derby) deals mostly in VW parts apparently "we don't do much Citroen stuff".
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Why do you think you need new seals.... I've had NEVER replaced a pipe seal in all the years I've tinkered with Citroens.... Leaking from seals simly doesn't happen.... Unless there is no seal there to begin with !!!

seeya
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

DoubleChevron wrote:Why do you think you need new seals.... I've had NEVER replaced a pipe seal in all the years I've tinkered with Citroens.... Leaking from seals simly doesn't happen.... Unless there is no seal there to begin with !!!
Or the wrong size is fitted.... :? 4.5mm seals fitted to 3.5mm pipes will fit in the hole, but usually weep slightly. Easy mistake to make, too.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Bigjoe
My Cars:

Post by Bigjoe »

I think its a seal as the supplying garage has tried to fix it 3 times now and ive been watching the area it comes from after cleaning and it seems to be coming from the union area itself,and the seals are the cheapest place to start (as money is very short at the moment :( )
Im out there somewhere!

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

the supplying garage has tried to fix it 3 times now
You mean they sold you the car?
When you've sorted it, charge them for the seals and your time, and make sure they refund anything you've paid them to 'fix' it :roll:
Bigjoe
My Cars:

Post by Bigjoe »

Yep the garage that the car came from,they,ve never tried to charge me anything.....ive just been working it out and to get one seal from gsf is going to cost me about £7 with carriage and vat :cry:
Im out there somewhere!

f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

AndersDK wrote:NOPE !

Its not like housewater systems exploiting 10bar pressures. We are dealing with 170bar here :shock:
The device (mounting base) that the accumulator sphere is attached to - is the PR (pressure regulator).

The "screw fittings" here are pipe unions which have a unique seal. These seals are available from Citroen at some £1 (or less) each. To replace you must fully unscrew the uning and remove the pipe from the port. If the old seal does not follow the pipe end, you have to go fishing using a paper clip with an ever so small hook bent on the tip, then hook the seal up from the pipe port.
It appears the seal is some 8mm lenght of precisely cutted LHM hosing and fits over the end of the pipe.
When re-fitting the new seal - you MUST fit the seal over the pipe end - NEVER down the pipe port - before refitting pipe and union. This is because the sharp end of the pipe would cut down the seal if seal fitted down the port first, and then you get a new leak ...

The pipe union is merely nipped up feeling the rubber seal is now starting to give resistance (and being compressed) - never torqued.

The seals are made to fit exactly the diamter of the pipe it goes over. I.e. on the PR it would be a 6.3mm and a 4.5mm seal.

CAUTION!! Depends on the year..... later models DO NOT use this type of seal on the pump to regulator pipes.

My experience of leaks on these pipes is that the leaks are generally caused because the regulator is loose which stresses the hydraulic seal (even rupturing the pipe) Also check that the bell housing to engine bolts are tight (4 I think) this will have a similar affect on the seal/pipe.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Joe -

If you look close at the PR with the 2 pipes connected - you will see one pipe is slightly larger than the other. The larger pipe is a 6.35mm - the smaller pipe is a 4.5mm.
As Shane mentions above it is very rare that the seals leaks at all. Its always some other reason.

The reason here could simply be the pipe union needs a nip up - some 1/4 - ½ turn.
Other causes I've seen is the pipe itself strained such is has become oval (weven squarish) on the end. This can of course not obtain a tight fit.
I've also seen a single case of a split pipe.

Whatever the case - its not that sophisticated to work on - despite the huge pressure. And parts are cheap.

Go ahead and hunt down the problem yourself - you win the cost of your garage's labour charge 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive