Sunroof Drain Hose???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Sunroof Drain Hose???

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Hi

After doing some searching on this forum trying to find out what could be the cause of water under my rear seats, someone suggested to unblock the sunroof drain hose with pipe-cleaner or wire...

Whereabouts is this hose?
'94 M Reg Xantia 1.9 TD LX...70,000 miles, had it 2 years now and still LOVE it.

What a day,Oh what a day...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the best way to clear the sun roof drain tubes is with compresd air,the front tubes are inside the front door piler,you gain access to them from behind the trim at the sides of the front foot wells,and the rears are inside behind the rear lamp units,if you use wire you risk damaging the tubes and as the dirt colects at the top of the tubes,using a blow gun blasts the dirt up and out,just make sure you cover the seats and keep the sun blind shut
regards malcolm
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi.

Water under back seats is not caused by blocked sunroof drains, its caused by a worn boot seal....Sunroof drain pipes come from the roof section, out the rear pillars and down near the rear wheels..Rear drain pipes can only really be accessed by removing the roof lining first, and its rather flimsey.. unlike the ole BX. Incedently the sunroof mechenisam is NOT built into the roof lining like the BX, its a seperate mechenism..

Open your bootlid, and look along the side edges, there are two small drain holes... Water dribbles out and sits on the boot seal, as the seal looses efficiency... I discovered this with a car I just got rid off..

I filled the side holes up and drilled two new ones further down..

Hope you can follow this..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"Water under back seats is not caused by blocked sunroof drains"
Don't wish to contradict you completely XM, but about 3 years ago while on a short break in France in continual torrential rain, the rear footwell filled with water. Just down the road was the Rennes South main dealer and we called in. A supervisor opened the sunroof and poured water in each corner of the "tray". Water came out onto garage floor behind both front wheels and nearside side rear wheel - none behind offside wheel. A mechanic then dropped the roof lining in rear compartment by a few inches (it involved removing the grab handle and some plastic trim by rear hatch.) He then showed me that the rubber drain tube from sunroof tray to behind rear wheel had become detached from the white plastic drain tube affixed to the corner of the sunroof tray meaning that water was running from the white plastic bit, round the rear of the door into rear footwell. He popped the tube back on and it has never leaked since.
When I asked how much we owed him he said "Nothing - it's all part of the service!" It had taken about an hour - car was an out of warranty Xantia HDi Exclusive. So it COULD be drain tubes!
Phil
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Thanks for that...

Was only stating experieance... As my BOOT was soaking too..

Why should the drain tubes come adrift when the roof is completely staionary. Could understand it if the roof was a moving part (only the glass moves NOT the whole thing)

Anyway. A fair point and story

Thanks
regards
citroenxm
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Phil
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I've seen sunroof drain tubes come adrift at the sunroof end too.... not sure what causes it, perhaps rear passengers getting out headbutting the roof lining eventually works them loose. :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Thanks for all your info everyone, i've just checked out the link that PWatson posted,(thanks for that), had another look under my back seats and the carpet is still wet although there isn't puddles anymore (got most of water soaked up with those cloths you use when defrosting freezer) the carpet is still wet and on closer inspection there is tell-tale signs of water running down the plastic trim near the seatbelts on both sides.

Will investigate this tomorrow as i'm not working this weekend (yiphee) and let you all know wether it is the sunroof drain hoses (reckon it is though) or should I say I hope it is 'cos at least I can fix it then.

Cheers again

Debbie
'94 M Reg Xantia 1.9 TD LX...70,000 miles, had it 2 years now and still LOVE it.

Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Update: Definately NOT sunroof drain hoses, i've just been out and poured water into the gutter so it went into all 4 corners and water came out at all 4 corners near the wheels.

BUT...do have a slack parcel-shelf string, maybe this could be the problem, I have fixed these in the past and its very easy, about 1/2 hour job.

Don't you just hate it when you have Spaghetti hanging out of your boot lid...

pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"Don't you just hate it when you have Spaghetti hanging out of your boot lid..."

Yes....but at least if that is the problem, it should be easy to fix (easier than sunroof drain thingys!!!!)
Phil
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

My Xantia hatch also has the slack parcel shelf string problem too, with the strings hanging over the rubber seals most of the time when I close the boot.

Despite this I have no leaks even in heavy rain, (and we've had plenty of that lately!!) so I think you better keep looking elsewhere.... the way the shape of the boot is designed, even if the string prevents that rubber from sealing the water still can't get in unless something else is wrong....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Cant say I've seen that many Zx's and Xantia's where the parcel shelf cord hasnt been sticking out the boot :oops:

However two Zx's that dont suffer from this is my old Temptation and Wilkobob's knackered SX as we replaced the cord and a bit more :P

Cant see the cords being the culprit for wet areas inside the car, well never have for me and mine did have a sunroof too :D
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Saw Doc Fan
My Cars:

Post by Saw Doc Fan »

Can't understand this, all the rain this weekend and not one drop has got into car, all i've done is make sure that the rear windows and doors are definately closed properly (got a friend who doesn't like to bang the door shut) and that the parcel shelf string is inside the car.

Will just have to keep an eye on it, although the next time I wash it, I may just get hubbie to sit in boot with all rear seats down while I give it a good drenching, he may be able to see where it's coming in.

Will let you all know when or if I find out.

James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I did my shelf strings the easy way. :oops: :lol:

I simply cut the strings to the required length, drilled lil holes in the shelf, and threaded them through, then tied a 5/8 nut on the bottom as a weight.. It works a treat. :) No more strings hanging out the back :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.