Delayed rear braking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AdeU
My Cars:

Delayed rear braking

Post by AdeU »

My Citroen 2.1 TD XM VSX (N reg)has failed the MOT because the rear brakes have a delay. After working the brakes for a while they will start working. Has anybody experienced this?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Take the pads out, push the pistons back, make sure they aren't siezing then when you go for the retest put something heavy in the boot, a couple of sacks of sand should do it.

The rear brakes take their pressure from the rear suspension, most of the weight is over the front end so the rear brakes don't get a lot of use, this causes the pistons to stick a bit. Putting a bit of extra weight in the boot increases the ammount of brake pressure available.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if there is a delay it is more than likly you just need to bleed the brakes,under hard braking dose the pedel patter under your foot as this is another sign of air in the brake system
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I Agree with the above. Unless you carry a lot of weight in the back, the rear brakes do very little work and so tend to stick, they probably just need 'unsticking'.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm with Citronut - this is probably caused by gas in the rear brake circuit. Give them a really good bleed. You will probably find it will come back in a few weeks, as the probable cause is failure of one of the rear spheres. Bit difficult to know which one of the four is doing it though :lol:
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

change subject slightly

Post by jgra1 »

Xantias..
all, my 1999 1.8i dives excessively on braking, my ABS 1.9 td 1994 doesnt.. it stays fairly flat..

why is this?

Both have fairly soft front ends, with new spheres in the 1.9 (although the ride in this car is still harsh compared to 1.8)
John
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

so we all ignoring that AdeU has come onto a Citroen froum & spelt Citroen wrong then??
Ok I'll get back in my box. :P
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I think it'll remain a Citroen until the air in his rear brakes has been bled out. At which point it can be called a Citroen again!

Ahem.

Best way to bleed the rear brakes is to put the car in "High", and connect a long length* of clear hose to the bleed nipples. Put the other end back into the LHM tank. Now jam the footbrake on, and open the rear bleed nippes one at a time, and bleed lots (like several litres) of fluid through. You'll find after a fair while of normal fluid, there will be some air.

*a good source of a long length of clear hose is from a scrapped car that has a washer pipe going from a front mounted screenwash tank to the back window. Try an early 306.
This is not a signature.
deian

Post by deian »

wow does that work? you can actually bleed from the brake niples back to the lhm resevoir? cos there is no brake fluid as such in these cars is there, just the lhm 'blood' running the whole caboodle? Is that where haynes got it wrong?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

rossnunn wrote:so we all ignoring that AdeU has come onto a Citroen froum & spelt Citroen wrong then??
Ok I'll get back in my box. :P

yes but every one has got a dislecsic side
regards malcolm
awg2

Post by awg2 »

Rossnum take comfort from the words of the master -

".....all the correct notes - but not necessarily in the right order" - Eric Morcambe
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault
AdeU
My Cars:

Delayed rear braking

Post by AdeU »

Thanks for all your help, I will try this over the weekend and will let you know of the outcome. :)
Regards,
AdeU
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

oooooh yesh! lol

Going slightly off topic, Our blue Xant had a advisery on the handbrake last MOT saying 'barely working' now at 10mph tug the handbrake it will pull the car up & quite fast too, car holds fine on steep gradients - ever get the feeling they tested the wrong end?
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

rossnunn wrote:ever get the feeling they tested the wrong end?
If they did you rear brakes are binding mate :lol:
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

deian wrote:wow does that work? you can actually bleed from the brake niples back to the lhm resevoir?
Yep. No reason why not. The longer you leave it "bleeding" the better, as you circulate fresh fluid through the whole system.

I'll make one little addition to the process. Check what colour the first little bit of LHM is when it comes out, as if it's dirty, then you'll want to discard it. Once the LHM looks nice and clean, then put the line to the tank, and bleed away for as long as you can.
Is that where haynes got it wrong?
One of many, many places!
This is not a signature.