had to share this

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

baffsfishing

had to share this

Post by baffsfishing »

:o
hi all
although this is not a citroen problem i had to share this with you all,the missus bought a rover streetwise 03 model with 8500 miles on the clock,after driving it for about another 1000 miles it began to sound like a tractor and she lost all the coolant with overheating,took back to garage and they said oops it looks like we forgot to top up coolant when we did the service, 25 miles later no coolant left and overheating again,back to the garage we go,leave it with us says the dealer,2 weeks later a call from said dealer right the cars ready,result a reconditioned engine,the cause!WAIT FOR IT the car had belonged to an old man who had not driving it fast,then when the missus drives it at 70-80 its been too much for the engine resulting in stuck valves and blowing head gasket and screwed piston rings???????? so remember all never drive a rover above 70 mph.
cheers
roy :shock:
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

And you wonder why they went under.
The wifes got a C4 I've got a ZX TD SX!!!!
davehughes
My Cars:

Post by davehughes »

I've never been stuck behind one that can do over 50mph :wink:
1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9 SX TD 120,000 Metallic Grey
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Now of course, we cannot see a mile off there's a Rover driver ahead that's best avoided like the plague...
:wink:

Seriously - aren't all new cars designed, tested and developed to withstand massive extremes of use/abuse climate etc etc? Obviously NOT ALL then!

Andrew
deian

Post by deian »

how on earth can the garage top up the coolant? stupid cars and stupid car mechanics
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

So it is the garages fault then.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
andmcit
My Cars:

Main Dealer Servicing

Post by andmcit »

Best one I've seen was one of my firm's Xantias having a service at the local Cit agent.

The car was in the garage service area/forecourt and had been paid for, signed over and the keys returned to the driver. When in a fluster one of the mechanics came over quick smartish and asked for them back so the car could be taken back into the workshop without any explanation...

Turns out after a few direct questions that the apprentice who'd done the oil change hadn't - he'd dropped the oil and changed the filter but FORGOT to put new oil in!! :shock:

Yep, then the car was driven out and parked ready for the customer...

The service manager had found out whilst passing the apprentice and took it back in to check the engine out, offering a demo car to use and a request to call back the following day!

Don't know what they did BUT the next day the car ran fine and continued to do so for a good couple of years after! I even nearly NEARLY bought it myself!!

The local Ford dealer had a "good" one too!

One of the guy's in the office had taken his wife's 600 mile young Ford Fiesta into have it's FIRST ever service and check up! Seemingly things didn't go according to plan and just about the time to go and collect the car he took a phone call from the dealer's receptionist apologising for the car not being ready. Naturally he asked why as it was ONLY a minor service [he had dropped the car off on the way to work that morning getting a lift in to work]. He was told in a matter of fact way that the cylinder head was being taken off... :shock:

No reason given, it was "all ok" as if it was a natural occurence of the car's first service. So, feeling happy and being totally mechanically ignorant he said OK and rang off. He then asked me as I "like" getting oil up my finger nails, what it would mean having a cylinder head removed!!

I suggested it MAY be worth him having another word where it could be explained a bit better to him as to exactly why this should be being done. Funny thing, they couldn't find anyone to speak to him, but assured him the car would be ready to collect the following day!

Sadly, we never got to the bottom of this one; it's as if there was a conspiracy of silence, nobody could give any answer even when asked.

Now, if someone had said something plausible like the car was subject to a free recall service on the engine etc, that would have probably been ok, certainly it seems the receptionist may have let too much out of the bag. Being the eternal cynic, I recon some prat dropped something dodgy down the spark plug bore when they were being changed/checked...

so, the head had to come off!

All of these sound like urban myths, but I can assure anyone they DID happen!! I certainly wouldn't trust a main dealer to be allowed anywhere near anything I rely on for my daily transport!!

Andrew
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I may have mentioned here before that my dad had a GS soon after they came out. Shortly after its first service, the gearbox became noiy, then notchy, then driveless. On investigation, it turned out that the dealers had drained the gearbox oil and failed to refill it. New box fitted under warranty!
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

A piece of modern American poetry may bring a consolation of not being the first and the last to fall into the filthy hands of incompetent mechanician (excerpt):

Flakes! Flakes!
They can't fix yer brakes
You ask 'em, Where's my motor?
Well, it was eaten by snakes...
You can stab 'n' shoot 'n' spit
But they won't be fixin' it

(F. Zappa, Sheik Yerbouti, Flakes)
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

its amazing that the green eared apprentice didn't notice the oil light on the Xant! lol
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

rossnunn wrote:its amazing that the green eared apprentice didn't notice the oil light on the Xant! lol
You mean the flashing low oil level light on the Xantia that cries wolf so often that nobody pays any attention to it ?? :evil:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

yup thats the one lol
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

rossnunn wrote:its amazing that the green eared apprentice didn't notice the oil light on the Xant! lol
I always wondered about that myself! I recon, because the parking area was and actually still is, rammed solid with trebled up badly parked cars he was probably kept busy looking everywhere BUT the dash/instruments... :roll:

Andrew
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

What about the red oil pressure light and the stop light associated with it?

Of course you expect the stop light to be on when you start the engine because the hydraulics aren't pressurised...