steering creaks? jerkyness

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

steering creaks? jerkyness

Post by deian »

ok you all know me by now, i'm paranoid, and daily find something wrong with my car, although it's the best i've had i want to keep it that way.

once in a while i feel also hear occasionaly some creaks coming from my steering when making a turn (i think one side, to the left more) but not on full lock, it's not a clicking like driveshafts do, definatley steering, like something is wrong, loose, wearing, rubbing, maybe even under strain?

also when i come off the accelerator pedal and then back on there is a noticable feeling of clunking (not too bad, but it annoyes me), although you cannot hear it, is this to do with the gearbox or engine mounts? or clutch?

could both of the above be related to a suspension element loosening up and my tracking out despite getting it done twice? or something else, more or less serious... any advice and tricks or diagnostic tests would be very much appreciated. very helpful forum this one. keep up the good work

thanks guys
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Hi Deian,

Suggestion stablising links,balljoint type noise.

Regards
KennyW
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
deian

Post by deian »

i'll investigate the suggested, replacement or lubrication? thanks kenny.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check your hydraulic pump drive belt tension.
deian

Post by deian »

yes, i will check that too, but isn't the belt self-adjusting on my 98 2.1td?

i'll be replacing the accumulator sphere soon too, it's on order, will do it this weekend, maybe this will fix it?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

That I dont know, I wouldn't have thought so, it isn't on my XM, same engine.
deian

Post by deian »

oh i remember, if it comes with aircon, it's self adjusting, mr haynes says so, still, it could be the original belt, and it could be that the self-adjuster is knackered. i will investigate accordingly. thanks guys
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I stand corrected!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Don't trust the Haynes book for details like the layout of the Auxillary belt or the tensioner type. On both types of engines I've dealt with (1.9TD and 2.0i 8 valve petrol) the Haynes book is incorrect on both counts!

There are many more engine variations than the Haynes book covers...

Having air-con is NOT a guarentee that it's an automatic tensioner, in fact my mums 1.9TD with air-con has a manual screw type adjuster.

The best thing to do is remove the bolt on plastic cover inside the right hand wheel arch (take all the normal precautions of supporting the car with safety stands yadda yadda) and have a look yourself to see what kind of tensioner you have. If it's a manual one you can adjust it yourself through the wheel arch...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Steering: - some Citroens use a rubber disc atthe joint of the steering column and the steering rack and this breaks up after a while. Not an exensive part but may be amusing to fit. There are also universal joints in the column - visible from underneath and these cartainly on other makes can sieze if you're unlucky. They normally look rusty on inspection and may temporarily respond to oiling. Proper cure is to replace the ofending bit.

The if the universals are tight it may show up if the car is jacked up and the steering turned with no load on the wheels.

The engine clunking may be the bottom mount between the engine and the chassis. On BX and ZX you can see this from outside the car if you look below the drivers door and the donought mount breaks up with age. You may be able to see it all wobling around when you look with the engine running. the re may also be excessive movement if the engine is revved in neutral. I think there is another rubber bush at the other end. I'm not sure if the bush is obtainable separately - it is for a BX - or if you have to buy the whole plate. There were some posts on this subject recently and I think the suggestion was that it may not be the same bit.
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Isn’t it a warning sound from a strut top ? :shock:
There are stories of metal-to-metal contact in there when steering.
Might be an idea to check that both tops are at the same height.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
deian

Post by deian »

thanks so much guys, again you're a great help, shame this stupid weather is with us, summer started last sunday apparently. when the weather gets better i will jack my baby up and check her underside. oh the joy!