Rumbling / Vibration sound .

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stuwestwales

Rumbling / Vibration sound .

Post by stuwestwales »

Hi my HDI xantia has a rumbling noise from the front drivers side, ive checked all the front suspension bushes and changed the anti roll bar link rods but still it persists. Its not loud just noticable on rough road services,but at the weekend there i noticed that when driving at around 30 mph and giving the steering a quick shake from side to side there is alot of movement in the gearstick. Is there a gearbox mounting bush and if so where as i think if the bush is knackered then maybe thats where my problem is.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Sounds like it's either the top engine mount or the lower engine mount come intermediate bearing mounting. The 3rd mounting which sits atop the gearbox just hangs the weight from it and can't really pivot the way you suggest with the gearstick movement...

The lower mount/intermediate bushed do go! Mentioned quite recently in past threads.

Andrew
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Only experienced with my 2nd ZX which is now the mothers. It started off with a low rumbling noise and eventually got worse, didnt realise how bad since my mum never informed me until one day i have to drive it and OMG it was actually quite frightening just how loud this noise worse, it got from starting to that state in about 4 months.

It was found that it was the gearbox mountings/bushes (im no expert) which were replaced....noise sorted and its like it should be now!

I know of a couple of people who have also experienced the same problems and cure with their zx's but with a Xantia...I couldnt be 100% sure
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(