Xantia Rear wheel bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andye
My Cars:

Xantia Rear wheel bearings

Post by Andye »

Hi folks,

As a new boy to xantias & an electrician by trade, I have just had my TD fail its MoT with an excessively rough rear wheel bearing. What are these like to change, as the Haynes book of lies says that you have to replace the whole hub. Any hints or tips welcomed.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yes the bol is in fact correct for once.

The rear hubs are repalced as complete assemblies. Its not worth the hassles trying to reduce parts price replacing individual bearings in the hub.

There are 2 kinds of hubs around : for ABS with a toothed "cam" - or non ABS.
And they come pr side.
Remember to get the inner seal slider cup - as its not contained in the hub kit :
(original Citroen part only)
3726.14 - BEARING CUP (approx £1)

Job best done using a knife edge puller to get behind the inner bearing race on the axle stub. But I managed to do it using a sharp edged chisel hammering behind the race.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

AndersDK wrote:Yes the bol is in fact correct for once.
There are 2 kinds of hubs around : for ABS with a toothed "cam" - or non ABS.
And they come pr side.
Remember to get the inner seal slider cup - as its not contained in the hub kit :
(original Citroen part only)
3726.14 - BEARING CUP (approx £1)
I've got bearing noise at the moment on my car, but no roughness or not enough so I can tell which bearing is making noise. GSF lists 4 different hubs for the Xantia, early ABS, early non ABS, later ABS and later non ABS. Prices are around £40 for the rear hub bearing, I'm hoping its a front because they're less than half the price (although much more fun to replace).
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

These are very much the same as the BX one to change. Mine came off with the old style RWD hub puller I last used on a Marina. Because the hub and bearing come as one piece it does make the job easier, although the bit costs more money.
Job best done using a knife edge puller to get behind the inner bearing race on the axle stub. But I managed to do it using a sharp edged chisel hammering behind the race.
To get the inner race off the stub axle I used a grinder, and cut into it enough to split it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andye -

You need the exact production date of your Xantia (the RP number) to get the right hub.
Hub design changes 3 times during the production over the model years.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Andye
My Cars:

Post by Andye »

Thanks for that chaps, I have got it sorted in my head now and have the required bits. Job will be done tomorrow :D