Old Diesels and Todays New Car Tax Charges

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenbx

Old Diesels and Todays New Car Tax Charges

Post by citroenbx »

What does it now mean for me and my two 1.9td Diesel ZX's :?:

The new levys are going to be based on emissions per KM.

Do we stand a chance with our XUD's mine don't even have CATS on :?:

Both cars are due for re taxing in Summer will i need an MOT to determin their emmision outputs before my cars are graded into a band :?:

Does anyone have any idea of the emmisions a an XUD well looked after with 120k on the clocks :?:

I realy hope we Citroen owners don't get stung for £210 ++ the next time we have to road tax our older Diesel Cars :!:

See this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4834480.stm
Last edited by citroenbx on 23 Mar 2006, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Makes no difference at all to cars registered? before 2003 I think except that the duty has gone up by £5 on the annual basis. (I looked it up but can't remember the precise dates)

After that it does - C1 and all C3 diesels have duty of £55 - Jaguars get into the top category.
jeremy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

The move has been coupled with a zero rate for a small number of cars with the lowest carbon emissions, and £40 duty for cars with low emissions.
So why will I still have to pay road tax then?
I have been using a carbon neutral, legally duty paid fuel for the last six months. The bio diesel I use is locally produced from waste vegetable oil. In effect my carbon emissions are zero. Any carbon added to the atmosphere is removed by the next crop of rapeseed or whatever the oil was. Unlike the majority of you that are burning dead dinosaurs and adding carbon dioxide to the atmosphere that was removed millions of years ago.
I don't buy into this electric/petrol hybrid eco-friendly bit either. I bet they have only worked out the exhaust emmisions from these cars and not the carbon produced when generating the electricity.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

For cars registered before 2001, the higher band is raised by £5, and the lower band remains unchanged. That is buried inside the actual Budget document!

I was worried that Brown might apply the 'new' top rate to older cars, but I suppose that would alienate too many of his voters!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

What a good point Boncechops has...If we run our Diesels on BIOFUEL and after an MOT can show there is little or no Carbon outputs could we be graded into one of the lower emission bands ?
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Not with the current structure of Taxation, as vehicles before 2001 are based on engine size, and not emissions.

Which is, of course, fundamentally wrong. But then this is a Government-designed system, so are you surprised?
This is not a signature.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Burning bio diesel does not eliminate carbon emmisions. The difference is that the carbon produced will be used by the next vegetable oil crop grown.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There's no way that you can apply emissions based taxation retrospectively-if that was done, then theoretically a veg-burner would qualify for a lower tax band as its cleaner.

But..... that would also be a slippery slope that would drive older cars, which were never designed with low emissions in mind, off the road completely :cry:

True, Boncechops,There is no such thing as a carbon neutral fuel. You can't destroy carbon,just temporarily store it, and its just re-relesed as you burn the fuel. Most of it is currently stored in limestone and fossil fuels-oil,coal,etc.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Just as a matter of interest, do owners of old, tax-exempt cars have to apply each year for the exemption? It occurred to me whilst contemplating the Budget that such vehicles, which are arguably most in need of MOT testing every year, wouldn't have the same check which others have when purchasing a tax disc.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

dnsey wrote:Just as a matter of interest, do owners of old, tax-exempt cars have to apply each year for the exemption? It occurred to me whilst contemplating the Budget that such vehicles, which are arguably most in need of MOT testing every year, wouldn't have the same check which others have when purchasing a tax disc.
No I don't, I get sent a renewal notice as per usual then together with the MOT cert get a new disc for my Morris 1100 at the Post Office for free.

The pleasure it gives me getting a tax disc for free makes it almost worthwhile to buy an old car just for that feeling alone :D
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It certainly is a pleasure!! :D The free tax disc for the Triumph almost compensates for the outrageous sum I have to pay for the BX's one :evil:
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

On the subject of the new VED rates.

Can anyone name a car on sale in the UK today which fits into band A?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Homer wrote:On the subject of the new VED rates.

Can anyone name a car on sale in the UK today which fits into band A?
Honda Insight?
Doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid, even if it DOES have rear wheel spats... :wink:

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

OMG. What have I done!? I've mentioned the H word.... :shock:

SORRY EVERYONE!! I wont let it happen again...

Andrew
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It's interesting that they have pictured it in front of something else of dubious green-ness.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.