knackered turbo???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

knackered turbo???

Post by deian »

i've had my xantia for nearly 3 weeks now, and i 'feel' the turbo maybe be on it's way out, or not pulling so well, it also whistles a little. Are turbo failures a common thing on the xantia 2.1? Is it such a big deal?

OR could it be that the ECU adapts and has lowered the boost pressure for some reason? Is this a possibility?

Whats the make and model of the turbo in my 1998 2.1Td?

Also, how hard or easy is it to get hold of another turbo, new or reconditioned, (not worth risking scrapie's is it). And what price do they go for?

I understand the turbo is nestled deep within the engine bay, and requires engine removal for replacement?

Any comments or advice? Maybe an oil change might help.

Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Turbo failure on any Citroen engine is virtually unknown - so with some confidence I can say that your problem probably lies elsewhere. If turbo's do fail its usually the oil sealing arrangements that go - resulting in clouds of blue smoke - rather than a loss of pressure.

Excessive whistling sounds like an air leak on the pressure side - have a good look at all the joints.

A favorite for loss of power is the communication of pressure to the injection pump. On most older cars there is a pipe from the high pressure side of the inlet to the injection pump to operate the extra fuel device. A favorite is for the pipe to split or fall off - and the thing pumps properly but gets no extra fuel.

Whilst you have some degree of electronics in your injection system, I doubt if it operated the wastegate.
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

no sign of smoke at all, cold or hot or foot to the floor, slow or fast up or down hill, empty or full car!!

My first reaction was a vacuum or air leak somewhere too, although feeling the lack of turbo pulling is probably me getting used to the car by now, compared to my 106 1.4d, maybe a ride in the 106 will fix the turbo!

Can anyone confirm the turbo make/model anyway, curiosity killed the cat!

Thanks
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there... Have a look under the bonnet to make sure that the throttle cable is opening the lever on the pump all the way. ( you'll need an assistant to do this) It is fairly common for the cable adjustment to slip, with the result that full throttle is anything but! As jeremy said, turbo failure is most unlikely.. ( btw my 93 tdsx whistles noticeably..- I've grown to enjoy the noise -and the rush of power)
I won't do that again
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

same here the turbo on my 1996 td has a fairly loud whistle and has done since i got the car 4 years ago, still pulls realy well, i did have a problem a while back when one of the pipes came off i think it was one that comes from the intercooler and the car lost loads of power.
deian

Post by deian »

so just routine checks... like you do when servicing the car yourself, thanks guys, a few minor things added to my list.